• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just had an accident, need advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Fabulous news,the lorry company called and said they accept liability! They want to pay to fix it.
    Glad to hear it.

Really ashamed to see couple of insensitive comments/remarks as well.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 17 December 2021, 17:15.

Comment

What a roller coaster of a day! When the accident happened, I was on my way to get the car serviced and was pulling into the mechanic's driveway. I left the car and keys with him for a normal service. He looked at the dent and said it was no big deal.

When I went to pick it up in the afternoon, he said they didn't do any work on it because the wheel and suspension are damaged from the impact. He said it would be £400 or more to fix that, on top of the dent. I drove it home (5 minute drive) but the steering wheel is no longer straight. It's not roadworthy and he made me promise I wouldn't drive it again.

So now my knackered car is sitting in the driveway and I have an email from Veolia's solicitors accepting fault and telling me they will pay for a hire car and get an engineer to look at the car. And pay for repairs or settle the value.

Any adivice on whether I should go with the lawyers from Veolia or do the whole thing through my insurance company Admiral? Not sure who to trust. This sucks because I usually like to spend some time finding a used car and now is the worst time to buy a used car.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        So now my knackered car is sitting in the driveway and I have an email from Veolia's solicitors accepting fault and telling me they will pay for a hire car and get an engineer to look at the car. And pay for repairs or settle the value.
        Deal with them direct, this would remove any claims, you'll still have to declare the accident happening for many years however.

With the damage as described your car is a write off, so when they offer money for it make sure you check CURRENT second hand market values which are much higher than usual due to high demand.

Veolia's solicitors will be happy to close this quick and that you had no personal health damage, which hopefully is the case.

Finally, and that's very important - send me a cheque for 10% of the recovered value.

Comment

So. This isn't about getting caught short without a toilet in sight.

Ah, I should have scrolled down a bit
          https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ed-advice.html
          Last edited by ladymuck; 17 December 2021, 20:40.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            So. This isn't about getting caught short without a toilet in sight.

Ah, I should have scrolled down a bit
            https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ed-advice.html
            I didn't mention I massively tulip my pants? Claiming for underwear as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

No.

No-claims will only go IF he makes claim (or claim made against him) _AND_ it was not guaranteeed not to go down, which is a bit of BS anyway since accident costs will have to be declared anyway and will be used to increase premiums in the future.
              correct.
              He was in an accident so the premium is going up no matter what. 'No claims' bonus is a con.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

No.

No-claims will only go IF he makes claim (or claim made against him) _AND_ it was not guaranteeed not to go down, which is a bit of BS anyway since accident costs will have to be declared anyway and will be used to increase premiums in the future.
                Just by calling the insurance company (even if you don't file a claim) your premium will go up the next year

Comment

Premiums will increase even if you try to think about claiming

Comment

Working...
                  X