• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP Zopa & P2P lending?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Zopa & P2P lending?

I'd missed the advance warning of this but was reminded today:

Originally posted by zopa
    After 16 years of peer-to-peer (P2P) investments at Zopa, we have taken the decision to close our retail investing business.

This has been a tough decision, and not one we have taken lightly.

We deliberated several options for how to close the P2P side of our business in a way that delivers the best outcome for our customers. After careful consideration, we have decided that the best way forward is the sale of all retail investor portfolios at full value. This will lock in the interest earned by Investors so far and ensure the timely return of their money.
    https://www.zopa.com/blog/article/an...on-p2p-at-zopa

Must admit this caught me rather off-guard, unless I've drastically mis-read they are basically closing the core of their business. I haven't seen if their competitors are doing likewise?
    It strikes me as rather a shame, I've always been pretty pro-Zopa and have achieved reasonable returns from my investment (about £20k).

Others here must be customers - is this a KUATB moment?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

This was being discussed on the radio a week or so ago. Essentially the disruptors to the lending market realised it wasn't a viable business.

Comment

I knew it won't end well since they used word for company name that means ass in Russian...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I knew it won't end well since they used word for company name that means ass in Russian...
        I that the donkey, the idiot or the rude version?
        Last edited by xoggoth; 16 December 2021, 17:24.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          I that the donkey, the idiot or the rude version?

Comment

Ah, my favourite version.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I'd missed the advance warning of this but was reminded today:

https://www.zopa.com/blog/article/an...on-p2p-at-zopa

Must admit this caught me rather off-guard, unless I've drastically mis-read they are basically closing the core of their business. I haven't seen if their competitors are doing likewise?
              It strikes me as rather a shame, I've always been pretty pro-Zopa and have achieved reasonable returns from my investment (about £20k).

Others here must be customers - is this a KUATB moment?
              Sad times, I used RateSetter for about 7 years and got a very good return, was gutted when they gave up.

Any recommendations on alternatives?

Comment

Yes bloody annoying them doing that. I've now got £250000 sitting in Zopa and got to find somewhere to bloody put it. Where the hell am I going to find an ISA which isn't less than inflation?!?!?!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Yes bloody annoying them doing that. I've now got £250000 sitting in Zopa and got to find somewhere to bloody put it. Where the hell am I going to find an ISA which isn't less than inflation?!?!?!
                  Have you considered investing in a Musk's expidition to Uranus?

Comment

The massive disconnect between interest rates and inflation for over ten years, now going to eleven on the dial. All inflation-busting investment schemes are now imploding - here it comes.

Comment

Working...
                    X