• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: "Omicron Covid cases ‘doubling every two to three days’ in UK"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hospital Acquired Infection has been common for years but getting reliable stats on it doesn't seem to be straightforward.

We all know of people who went in for a routine op, caught an infection, and left in a box. Covid hasn't changed that in the slightest.

Comment

It's pretty easy (for those in charge) to determine people who arrived to hospital with Covid and people who already were in hospital and later tested positive for Covid.

My understanding is that published numbers are the former.

Comment

It's everyone, as they have to be sectioned off.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I'm pretty sure someone has already explained we need to look at "because of Covid" and "with Covid" carefully. It's spread so far, it seems a lot of people have it coincidentally - or catch it at hospital. Making things even harder to analyse.

Hospitalisations DO seem to have started rising and given the incredible velocity of the trend in cases, this is the moment we find out if we're screwed or not. One fear of "wait and see" was by the time things are bad enough you lockdown, you still have another 2 weeks of it getting worse.

Squeaky bums. We've already heard locally that people are being told it will be quicker to drive your spouse to A&E with stroke/heart attack symptoms than wait for an ambulance. If hospitals can't provide critical services, it really hits the fan.
          Been like this for months, not a recent thing. And the reason is, as I was told by an ambulance driver, is because the time it takes to sanitise the space for the ambulance to roll in the next patient. So we have ambulances sitting in queues at hospitals that can't get out to the next emergency as their last patient is still in the back.

So yes ... covid related .... but not because of the recent ride in infections (although staff shortages will now make this situation worse).
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            It's pretty easy (for those in charge) to determine people who arrived to hospital with Covid and people who already were in hospital and later tested positive for Covid.

My understanding is that published numbers are the former.
            So you didn't bother to read the article I linked to the other day?

Comment

Question ... I can't be bothered to look it up myself.

In first and subsequent peaks, how many
              - were testing positive per week
              - in hospital
              - died
              - How long were they hospitalised for?

Seems now we have higher infections but much, much lower hospitalisations and death as a %

Also sounds like those in hospital stay much less time, and need much less critical care.

So, looking past the numbers, the story isn't as bad as it seems (but as we know with this, things can change quickly and the story is always behind the curve of reality).

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Been like this for months, not a recent thing. And the reason is, as I was told by an ambulance driver, is because the time it takes to sanitise the space for the ambulance to roll in the next patient. So we have ambulances sitting in queues at hospitals that can't get out to the next emergency as their last patient is still in the back.

So yes ... covid related .... but not because of the recent ride in infections (although staff shortages will now make this situation worse).
                Not here it hasn't. And hospitals have not been formally reporting an emergency status (I forget the proper terminology) across the nation until the last week or two. It seems this is largely due to staff issues not an increase in cases but the net result is the same - hospitals cannot provide critical care reliably right now. That is a real worry that the NHS is teetering.

edit: "critical incidents". up to 24 declared now.
                Last edited by d000hg; 6 January 2022, 15:33.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Question ... I can't be bothered to look it up myself.

In first and subsequent peaks, how many
                  - were testing positive per week
                  - in hospital
                  - died
                  - How long were they hospitalised for?

Seems now we have higher infections but much, much lower hospitalisations and death as a %

Also sounds like those in hospital stay much less time, and need much less critical care.

So, looking past the numbers, the story isn't as bad as it seems (but as we know with this, things can change quickly and the story is always behind the curve of reality).
                  You have to remember as well that when it started the first ones to end up in hospital and dead were the elderly and vulnerable (or to reference ZiggyStroney, they were going to die anyway).
                  Since those numbers have been reduced the hospitalisations are coming from the younger and healthier end of the population.
                  In theory, healthier people should be more capable of surviving the milder variant without hospitalisation.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ shows a somewhat worrying visual correlation between cases and hospitalisations since mid December. But so far, deaths are not showing the same up-trend. To my eye we might be just starting to see an up-tick but it's far too uncertain.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ shows a somewhat worrying visual correlation between cases and hospitalisations since mid December. But so far, deaths are not showing the same up-trend. To my eye we might be just starting to see an up-tick but it's far too uncertain.
                      Next week is when the numbers will start to climb as the Christmas/New Year mixing kicks in.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X