• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: "Omicron Covid cases ‘doubling every two to three days’ in UK"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Normal Tories do. Bunter, the Fat Owl of the Remove isn't a normal Tory.
    FTFY.

He's not WSC either.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Our supreme leader is doing a public waffle just after 5pm.

Aren't we all lucky -
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Record breakers...record breakers....

Shame we are led by a spinless cretin
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

14k in hospital - +5.6k in a week, so that's 50%+ (and these numbers are for 31 Dec!)

"Parts of NHS may be overwhelmed by Covid wave, admits Boris Johnson

PM says England can ‘ride out’ Omicron without lockdown but acknowledges service is under huge pressure"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-boris-johnson

Last edited by AtW; 5 January 2022, 03:03.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            The question they should be answering is "How many people are getting sick from Omicron and how many of those are in hospital". So far, the answer seems to be "hardly any"...

As a guess malv's response will be that he said SO FAR a month ago, which is true, just like it was true in early March 2020 that so few people were in hospital and therefore nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              14k in hospital - +5.6k in a week, so that's 50%+ (and these numbers are for 31 Dec!)

"Parts of NHS may be overwhelmed by Covid wave, admits Boris Johnson

PM says England can ‘ride out’ Omicron without lockdown but acknowledges service is under huge pressure"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-boris-johnson
              Look behind the numbers ... yes there are high numbers of people in hospital with covid but not because of covid. Patients are in hospital for one something else, getting tested for covid, and being told that they are positive. Quite a high number too (30-50% of patients if memory serves me well).

So not saying the situation is good, but not as bad as the headline figures suggest.
              Last edited by Whorty; 5 January 2022, 08:27.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                So not saying the situation is good, but not as bad as the headline figures suggest.
                Situation is actually worse than the headline number suggests because that number refers to a situation a WEEK AGO, which in turn reflects infections up to mid-December. Infections gone up 2.5-3 times after that.

Comment

Situation is actually worse than the headline number suggests because that number refers to a situation a WEEK AGO, which in turn reflects infections up to mid-December. Infections gone up 2.5-3 times after that.
                  But it doesn't change the fact that only about half of the number is in hospital because of covid. The rest are there for other reasons, didn't even know they had covid (so presumably no symptoms), and hence are not in need of covid type meds, oxygen etc.

Like I say, I'm not saying the situation is good, but it's not as bad as the headline numbers, and you're trying to peddle.

If all these were in due to covid, and taking up ICU beds, then yes, the situation would be far worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    But it doesn't change the fact that only about half of the number is in hospital because of covid. The rest are there for other reasons, didn't even know they had covid (so presumably no symptoms), and hence are not in need of covid type meds, oxygen etc.
                    Source?

50% increase is very high, 3 more such weeks and we'll be above last peak in hospital - and current data refers to a week ago, with 2 weeks delay to get to hospital - given that we know current record breaking numbers it follows we are well on way there

Comment

Source?

50% increase is very high, 3 more such weeks and we'll be above last peak in hospital - and current data refers to a week ago, with 2 weeks delay to get to hospital - given that we know current record breaking numbers it follows we are well on way there
                      Really? You want to be spoon fed? It was headline news on the Beeb website yesterday..... just re-read, it's 1/3 are in hospital with something else and not covid, but have tested positive.

Read the article. Yes, numbers are high, but the pressure (currently) on the NHS is nowhere near as bad as last winter. I'm not saying we should slack off controls etc, but scare mongering like what you're doing really isn't going to help. People are getting bored with lockdown now so I'm afraid we are getting to a point where a balance will need to be made else we could end up with no one following the rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59862568

Comment

Working...
                      X