• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Attempt at a serious topic] What is your attitude to money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Attempt at a serious topic] What is your attitude to money?

I know this is general, but here goes anyway, what is your attitude to money?

I, like the majority of us on here, earn a good wage and shouldn't have any long term financial concerns. The last frivolous purchase I made for myself took me three years to pull the trigger even though I had more than enough cash on hand for the purchase to not even make a dent.

The irony at the moment is I have just been given a large sum of money from my grandmother and parents who are very much of Tarbie's you are a long time dead philosophy who are keen for me to spend in while they are still alive, yet I some how still struggle to justify spending money on myself.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

My attitude is that I do not borrow money to purchase anything other than the house I live in.

I live in South Essex and often wonder how so many people can 'afford' to drive around in Range Rovers, Audis and BMWs.

That said I do spend a fair bit on my family - I want my children to understand the opportunities that are available to them in life.
    Last edited by TheDude; 6 December 2021, 09:27.

Comment

In the old days I would say "Go on a big holiday" and then do something with the remainder. Given the current global issues and where my brain is at these days, I'd say buy a plot of land and grow something - apples, vines, veg, maybe get a few pigs...
      i.e. do something that is a long term "investment" but will give you returns that surpass money.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        The irony at the moment is I have just been given a large sum of money from my grandmother and parents who are very much of Tarbie's you are a long time dead philosophy who are keen for me to spend in while they are still alive, yet I some how still struggle to justify spending money on myself.
        Ouch, I would have great difficulty spending 'other peoples' money, especially whilst alive, I would feel I had to spend it on something worthwhile or the guilt would get to me. I had some from a great Aunt, I just put into a house purchase, at least the kids will get the benefit.

Pre-Covid I would spend my own on travel (yes mainly Italy) and books + an OU course. Cars and other outward signs or wealth make me feel ostentatious. I once had a Jag, but got rid as I felt like a right tw*t in it, now on my second boreathon Passat, but it does everything I need.

The biggest fiscal luxury in life is financial safety. When I was ill had no money worries unlike a lot of other fellow sufferers, which made me feel guilty as well.

But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Money is a means to an end, rather than an end in itself. When I inherited some money, I invested in the shares of various companies. I simply want to live reasonably well and pass on any remainder to my kids and grandkids. I also give away some money to charidee, but I don't like to talk about it.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I also give away some money to chardonnay, but I don't like to talk about it.
            FTFY
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              In the old days I would say "Go on a big holiday" and then do something with the remainder. Given the current global issues and where my brain is at these days, I'd say buy a plot of land and grow something - apples, vines, veg, maybe get a few pigs...
              i.e. do something that is a long term "investment" but will give you returns that surpass money.
              The house in Spain has a small vineyard, not big enough to really do anything with ourselves so we let our neighbours pick the grapes when they do theirs in return for a couple of bottle of Chateau Fallover. Always taste a little bit better than the other bottles we drink when over there.

We also get given a couple of baby goats most years, thankfully they are now at least slaughtered for us first.

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Ouch, I would have great difficulty spending 'other peoples' money, especially whilst alive, I would feel I had to spend it on something worthwhile or the guilt would get to me. I had some from a great Aunt, I just put into a house purchase, at least the kids will get the benefit.

Pre-Covid I would spend my own on travel (yes mainly Italy) and books + an OU course. Cars and other outward signs or wealth make me feel ostentatious. I once had a Jag, but got rid as I felt like a right tw*t in it, now on my second boreathon Passat, but it does everything I need.

The biggest fiscal luxury in life is financial safety. When I was ill had no money worries unlike a lot of other fellow sufferers, which made me feel guilty as well.
                I have no problem spending money on the house, we've just paid to get the garage converted, but as that is something that everyone will benefit from I have no problem spending that. Its just a mental block spending on myself

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I also give away some money to charidee, but I don't like to talk about it.
                  No need to feel ashamed, Charity sounds nice, do you use her often?

Comment

Increasingly of Tarbie's long time deed philosophy. Was a hoarder of cash when younger.

Comment

Working...
                    X