• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car advice

As my accountant knows Jack about cars, I thought I’d ask you (maybe, but probably not) knowledgeable bunch.

I’ve got around 40k to spend on a used car, I quite fancy a Range Rover Sport or indeed a FF Range Rover.

Should I hold off until the chip shortage is over, or buy now, or forget it and stick with my boring well equipped nearly new Volvo?

have at it

(I do about 8k a year, mostly short journeys with a couple of 2k mile holiday journeys a (normal) year. I live on top of a massive hill in a rural location up a track)

Buy an old landy that smells of dead goat. No chips to worry about

Comment

Set up an offshore company in a tax free area to buy the car and lease it to you thus gaining full tax relief on UK income.
      Last edited by Paddy; 25 November 2021, 12:26.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Do we assume that because you've asked your accountant that this is a company car or is that just the standard caveat that you've asked your accountant about anything before you post it on here?

Either way, life it is too short to be worrying about 40k cars. If have always wanted a Range Rover then get one. The very worst that could happen is you have to lose a few K re-selling it if you don't like it. It's better to regret something you've done than something you haven't done.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 24 November 2021, 21:42.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's better to regret something you've done than something you haven't done.
          Tell that to nlady when she’s in the queue at the STD clinic.

Comment

Used car prices have been pushed up a bit owing to the chip shortage on new cars. (6-9 month for a new car, even poverty spec is average at the moment, with longer waits on some models)
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
              I’ve got around 40k to spend on a used car, I quite fancy a Range Rover Sport or indeed a FF Range Rover.

(I do about 8k a year, mostly short journeys with a couple of 2k mile holiday journeys a (normal) year. I live on top of a massive hill in a rural location up a track)
              Does your husband play for Chelsea? Is the car to take Tarquin and Shardonnay to Pony Club?

if so, then go with the Range Rover Sport. Just don’t expect it to do too well in the rural bits.

if you’re actually interested in driving, maybe something like this… https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02111139541321

I’d offer you mine, but it’s not for sale.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm avoiding buying a 2nd hand car altogether now. Prices are unrealistically high. We had a PCH car with option to buy for £9000 after 3 years, but it worked out better to hand it back to the dealer after the 3 year term because they offered us £14000. Shocking and in my view no way that car is worth more than £8000.

We're looking to lease a car instead, preferably electric through our property company. Tide it over for 3 years and then see the lay of the land.

Comment

I'm more than happy with my Disco 5 - It's an HSE Lux so has all the toys - Very comfortable. I paid £40k for mine a year ago from a main dealer and was recently offered £50k for it by the same dealer - I'm not selling!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                    As my accountant knows Jack about cars, I thought I’d ask you (maybe, but probably not) knowledgeable bunch.

Should I hold off until the chip shortage is over, or buy now, or forget it and stick with my boring well equipped nearly new Volvo?

have at it

The question is how much do you want to look like a drug dealer or OCG member?

Comment

Working...
                    X