• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Booster jab booking rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booster jab booking rant

Trying to book a booster, since I am just over 6 months from my last jab - originally jabbed under group 6 because of long term meds. Apparently anyone group 1-9 should be able to get it now, regardless of age (late forties). Not eligible for online booking so tried the phone number (119) - 6 and a half minutes of unskippable answerphone options (you can only press the number once the full message has completed, even if you want option 1..), just to get the same outcome from the phone operative - GP hasn't supplied the details, call GP etc. (even harder to get through to them than the jab booking service, but that is another rant).

So here's the thing - why are they even trying to collate all of the GP vulnerability data etc for a second time, when this was already done the first time; the date of your original jabs should be able to serve as all the evidence required to make you eligble for the booster, since I couldn't have had my second jab in May if I wasn't in an eligble group. This would make the whole process much simpler, with effective zero downside (so someone that isn't eligble slips though - who cares?), and with the upside that people who's GPs have cocked up yet again won't be put off.

Anyway, I gave up of course but the online booking will open up for all 40+ from Monday according to the lady on the phone so I'll do it then. Latest evidence suggests a drop from 1/2 chance of symptomatic infection 6+ months after 2nd jab to < 1/10 so worth it I think. It's all over the place here (3 kids in my oldest boys football team tested +ve Monday after he played with them Sat, and the (previously healthy, mid 40's) dad of a girl in my youngest's class died of it last week..).

Last week I tried to book online (I'm over 50) and was given options in mid to late December. I didn't bother.
    Went on yesterday and found that one of the local centres has suddenly got dates from the end of next week.
    It looks like they are either slowly releasing dates, or if uptake increases they are putting on more teams.

But yes, it appears it's only over 50s at the minute via the app, and the phone people are just seeing the same data as the app.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      But yes, it appears it's only over 50s at the minute via the app, and the phone people are just seeing the same data as the app.
      It is supposed to be over 50's and anyone in original groups 1-9, of which I was group 6 (that actually came ahead of even over 60's). The problem with the system is that it relies on something having been communicated - once again - from your GP, to identify the group. If I was speccing this sytem myself I would scratch that requirement - it is obviously complicated, demonstrably prone to failure, and all of the heavy lifting of getting people lined up in the correct order for vaccines has already been done the first time around. Simply let anyone who is 6+ months from their second jab book a booster.

Comment

Had my booster a week ago. Doctors said via NHS online but they had appointments some distance away so called doctors. Got an appointment the following day so job done, except for the sore arm and flu symptoms for 24 hours My better half has just booked hers via NHS online and is going to a centre nearby next week. Booking efficacy varies around the country and between urban and countryside areas with countryside / rural towns being much better than the big urban centres.

Comment

I couldn't book either of mine as it wouldn't take my date of birth even though I confirmed it was correct with the GP. Both times just rocked up to the place, explained and they booked me in there and then.

When my booster comes through I intend to do the same again.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my area there are random walk in clinics so if you are eligible for a jab you can go and line up.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I couldn't book either of mine as it wouldn't take my date of birth even though I confirmed it was correct with the GP.
              You a vampire?
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

You a vampire?
                My perfered pronoun is Everliving/Eternal if you don't mind and yes, they did mention the date field doesn't accept anything before the 1500's oddly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

My perfered pronoun is Everliving/Eternal if you don't mind and yes, they did mention the date field doesn't accept anything before the 1500's oddly enough.
                  Any idea what happened to the Princes in the Tower? It's been bugging me.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Any idea what happened to the Princes in the Tower? It's been bugging me.
                    I am afraid I just wouldn't have a clue about that<wipes corners of mouth with a hanky>

Comment

Working...
                    X