• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whoops - swapped before birth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoops - swapped before birth

Normally they mix the babies up just after they are born but nowadays the mix up happens before.

https://news.sky.com/story/two-calif...linic-12464274

Two California couples gave birth to each other's babies and spent months raising children that weren't theirs after a mix-up at the fertility clinic, according to a lawsuit filed on Monday.
    Daphna Cardinale said she and her husband, Alexander, were immediately suspicious after the girl she gave birth to in late 2019 had a darker complexion than they do.

However, the couple said they suppressed their doubts because they fell in love with the baby and trusted the IVF process and their doctors.

Months later they learned Daphna had been pregnant with another couple's baby, and the other woman had carried - and given birth to - her biological daughter.

"I was overwhelmed by feelings of fear, betrayal, anger, and heartbreak," Daphna said during a news conference with her husband announcing the lawsuit against the fertility clinic.

"I was robbed of the ability to carry my own child. I never had the opportunity to grow and bond with her during pregnancy, to feel her kick."

The Cardinales' lawsuit accuses the Los Angeles-based California Center for Reproductive Health (CCRH) and its owner, Dr. Eliran Mor, of medical malpractice, breach of contract, negligence, and fraud. It demands a jury trial and seeks unspecified damages.

The two other parents involved are planning to file a similar lawsuit in the coming days but wish to remain anonymous, according to the attorney representing all four parents.

Lawyer Adam Wolf - whose firm specializes in fertility cases - said: "This case highlights an industry in desperate need of federal regulation."

The babies, both girls, were born a week apart in September 2019.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Since it's California they figured it would be wrong to mention their child was a different race to the parents
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

IIRC correctly, there's been a few mixups with the sperm donations over the years, which has led to much gnashing of teeth & bonanza payments for the lawyers, it being septicland, like.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        IIRC correctly, there's been a few mixups with the sperm donations over the years, which has led to much gnashing of teeth & bonanza payments for the lawyers, it being septicland, like.
        Some of the "mix ups" were deliberate e.g. that doctor who has loads of children.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some of the "mix ups" were deliberate e.g. that doctor who has loads of children.
          Ah, yes, "bottled" or "draught".

This is the one I remembered:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/....lifeandhealth
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The families are apparently keeping contact. Can you imagine the conversation in a few years?

- Mummy, was I in your tummy?
            - No dear, you were in hers.

Funny thing - due to microchimerism the children will have some DNA from their host mothers.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Funny thing - due to microchimerism the children will have some DNA from their host mothers.
              microchimerism works two ways, the birth mother also receives cells from the baby

(BTW it can also happen in bloodtransfusions)

Comment

Working...
              X