• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tesla to open up its charging network

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesla to open up its charging network

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59122605

Great news - the existing non tesla chargers are so slow and often broken - it soooooo painful.

I think this will affect Tesla car sales badly, since one of the USP of owning a Tesla car is the network. If you are buying one of the most unreliable electric cars to be sat waiting for a line of Renaults, KIAs, Nissans and Hyundais to charge up, why bother?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      I think this will affect Tesla car sales badly, since one of the USP of owning a Tesla car is the network. If you are buying one of the most unreliable electric cars to be sat waiting for a line of Renaults, KIAs, Nissans and Hyundais to charge up, why bother?
      Cos it's a Tesla. Hasn't history showed us that standardisation is good for competition and business?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Its good for the market , maybe not so good for Tesla. Musk is however known to work in an altruistic way not sure whether its arrogance or just ignorance of the outcome.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Its good for the market , maybe not so good for Tesla. Musk is however known to work in an altruistic way not sure whether its arrogance or just ignorance of the outcome.
          I think it's more he looks at every party of the market separately.

So if the Tesla charging network can be made more profitably by allowing none Tesla drivers access when it's quiet he will do so.

I suspect what will happen is Tesla will allow Tesla cars to book access, while none Tesla drivers only have access if, when they arrive, a charger is free and not reserved...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I think it's more he looks at every party of the market separately.

So if the Tesla charging network can be made more profitably by allowing none Tesla drivers access when it's quiet he will do so.

I suspect what will happen is Tesla will allow Tesla cars to book access, while none Tesla drivers only have access if, when they arrive, a charger is free and not reserved...
            ta makes sense. Like M$ I have noticed Tesla knows how to monetise things effectively.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

ta makes sense. Like M$ I have noticed Tesla knows how to monetise things effectively.
              However, there will also be additional costs for those with non-Tesla drivers.
              Looks like it. Are the Tesla chargers 'better' in some way than standard chargers? Or are they just going to fry your batteries a bit faster?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Looks like it. Are the Tesla chargers 'better' in some way than standard chargers? Or are they just going to fry your batteries a bit faster?
                They were better because there are a lot of them, and not too many Tesla cars, so they weren't busy or broken, like the other ones.

Now they will likely be busy and broken as some pauper with a Renault or Nissan abuses them.
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Do Teslas have a proprietary connector? Would you need some kind of adapter to get it to fit your Kia?

I can see how this could push connector standardisation (a good thing) but also lead to an extra income stream for Tesla as I suspect the connection bit would need to be licensed if a manufacturer wanted to use it.

Comment

It's also great free advertising for Tesla specifically - IIRC they don't advertise at all? And arguably will drive EV adoption generally, maybe Tesla has a smaller slice of a bigger market. Elon's pretty smart at this stuff and also not seemingly that bothered about wealth as much as getting things done.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X