• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mad Police World

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Police World

Everyone complains about police forces not cleaning up their act, however when they want to they are blocked by a misconduct panel leading to them having to try to sort it out themselves legally.

Now if he stole jaffa cakes....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/btp-legal...an-not-sacked/

British Transport Police is to take legal action after one of their own officers, who flashed his warrant card at a woman before sexually harassing her, was not sacked by a misconduct panel.

It comes as senior police figures have raised concerns with LBC that the current misconduct system makes it too difficult to dismiss rogue officers.

In April last year, serving BTP officer PC Imran Aftab flashed his warrant card at a woman and then made sexually inappropriate comments.

He was off-duty at the time, and harassed the women for her number, telling her she was “too curvy to be Asian”. The woman, who was out jogging, was so disturbed she texted “help me” to a friend.

But in May of this year, a misconduct panel found him guilty of gross misconduct for abusing his position for a sexual purpose and gave PC Aftab a final written warning.

British Transport Police are now challenging that decision.

They told LBC in a statement: “We totally agree this was an appalling incident and as is the case in misconduct hearings, the decision not to dismiss PC Aftab was made by an independent panel, led by a legally qualified chair.

“We don't agree with their decision, and as such took legal advice immediately after the hearing in May before instigating a judicial review to appeal this. This is currently ongoing and we await the outcome.”

The case is a neat illustration of a problem that senior police figures have raised with LBC. That the new system of independent, legally qualified chairs (LQCs) has made it harder to dismiss officers who step out of line.

Previously, Chief Constables led misconduct proceedings. But the new system was introduced in 2015, under Theresa May’s tenure at the Home Office, to bolster public perceptions that the process was independent.

Jane Sawyers, the former Chief Constable of Staffordshire Police, told LBC: “There is some frustration amongst Chief Officers.

"Work carried out by the National Police Chiefs' Council compared the dismissals by panels both prior to independent chairs and with independent chairs over a 12 month period. There were fewer dismissals, and it’s a shame that that need for independence might mean that fewer officers are being sacked, because bad officers should not be in the service.”

The Home Office declined to comment on the concerns.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 20 October 2021, 12:52.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

well that is quite indefensible. Sack them! I wonder why they didn't?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      well that is quite indefensible. Sack them! I wonder why they didn't?
      It's obvious isn't it!

He didn't steal jaffa cakes....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I wonder how long it will be until they change the name to something without the racial overtones of 'Jaffa'?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I wonder how long it will be until they change the name to something without the racial overtones of 'Jaffa'?
          It does? It was a term used for Irish Protastants due to their Orange gard which isn't all that offensive really. It's used with only one F as derogatory towards NZ Auklanders in Australie and is mainly used as a derogatory comment to infertile men but don't think the woke brigade are really bothered about anything that is derogatory towards men and it's not race related.

I seem to remember a word used as a kid which sounded similar but can't even google it so can't be that?

What were you thinking of?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It does? It was a term used for Irish Protastants due to their Orange gard which isn't all that offensive really. It's used with only one F as derogatory towards NZ Auklanders in Australie and is mainly used as a derogatory comment to infertile men but don't think the woke brigade are really bothered about anything that is derogatory towards men and it's not race related.

I seem to remember a word used as a kid which sounded similar but can't even google it so can't be that?

What were you thinking of?
            Jefe?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X