• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. DCXV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. DCXV

I see the people who own commercial property are still trying to pretend people work better in offices but as we all know, most of the time you'll be reading stuff like the following anyway, no matter where you are
    • The Ship That Became a Bomb - ”Stranded in Yemen’s war zone, a decaying supertanker has more than a million barrels of oil aboard. If—or when—it explodes or sinks, thousands may die.” Not paying to maintain it and laying mines in the waters around it probably isn't helping the situation either
    • A Massive Subterranean ‘Tree’ Is Moving Magma to Earth’s Surface - ”Réunion, a French island in the western Indian Ocean, is like a marshmallow hovering above the business end of a blowtorch. It sits above one of Earth’s mantle plumes — a tower of superheated rock that ascends from the deep mantle and flambés the bases of tectonic plates.” The article includes a neat interactive 3D model you can play with
    • The Nature Conservancy 2021 Global Photo Contest Winners - ”The Nature Conservancy is proud to announce the winners by category of our 2021 contest. Check out the images that amazed our judges the most—and the winner of this year’s People’s Choice Award, selected by you!” Anup Shah took the Grand Prize with this photo of gorilla Malui walking through a crowd of butterflies
    • Eleven Un-Magical Secrets I Learned While Working at Disney World - A number of things here seem to involve visitors being terrible people, or at least deeply misguided, in various ways: ”I’d venture to say, if the Haunted Mansion is temporarily closed, it means someone tried to spread grandma’s ashes and we’ve had to bio-vac the entire place.”
    • Building a Theban Lattice Stool - ”I found this ancient Egyptian stool on the British Museum’s website in early 2020 and fell in love with it. A couple of things pushed me to make a copy – curiosity about the execution of its joinery and a desire to own it, sit on it, and see how it holds up over time.” Quite a neat project
    • Remembering the night two atomic bombs fell—on North Carolina - ”Sixty years ago, at the height of the Cold War, a B-52 bomber disintegrated over a small Southern town. An eyewitness recalls what happened next.” Bits of one of the bombs are still there
    • Terry Pratchett and the Maggi Soup Adverts and What’s the Rihannsu for “soup”? - ”Back in the 90s (starting with Moving Pictures) Terry Pratchett (yet to be knighted) changed his German publisher… The reason for the change was… well… the Heyne publishing house put in a soup advert in one of his books without asking, and would not promise to not do it again.” HT to ladymuck for this bizarre tale from the world of publishing
    • Stravart - ”Strava Art is made using your GPS computer to create a picture of your activity whether it's cycling, running, swimming, walking, hiking, skiing... anything really! Your activity is then synced with strava.com to reveal your artwork!” There are some very impressive drawings done in open country, but to my mind, the ones that manage to use the layout of city streets seem more ingenious; such as this lion hidden in Munich
    • The Best-Preserved Pair of Skis from Prehistory - Cool news from Norway: ”Back in 2014, the Secrets of the Ice program found an exceptional pre-Viking ski, 1300 years old, at the Digervarden Ice patch in Norway. The ski was complete, including the binding – one of only two skis from prehistory in this condition. Ever since, we have monitored the ice patch, hoping and praying for the second ski of the pair to melt out. Now it has happened! The new ski is even better preserved than the first one!”
    • John Margolies’ Photographs of Roadside America - ”The architectural critic and photographer John Margolies (1940–2016)… saw there could also be home-made beauty in the buildings and signs locals built on the American roadside. For almost forty years, he documented the most remarkable examples he found.” This chicken cowboy is from Nevada, 1991.

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    • Stravart - ”Strava Art is made using your GPS computer to create a picture of your activity whether it's cycling, running, swimming, walking, hiking, skiing... anything really! Your activity is then synced with strava.com to reveal your artwork!” There are some very impressive drawings done in open country, but to my mind, the ones that manage to use the layout of city streets seem more ingenious; such as this lion hidden in Munich
    I was expecting there to be lots of gentleman's parts but some are really rather clever.

(also fixed the link to the Munich Lion )

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I was expecting there to be lots of gentleman's parts ..
      No, I think that's the lion's back left leg!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Then again, the Septics have lost & never found some:

For 50 Years, Nuclear Bomb Lost in Watery Grave Fifty years ago, a B-47 bomber dropped a 7,000-pound nuclear bomb into the waters off Tybee Island, Ga., after a mid-air collision. The bomb has never been found
        Then again, they've lost quite a few over the years.

More alarmingly, the intact bomb came within one switch contact of arming & going off.

Would have ruined someone's evening.

By the by that site is insisting I register to continue reading.

Does it not know Who I Am?

Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 October 2021, 19:43.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

More alarmingly, the intact bomb came within one switch contact of arming & going off.
          ReVelle recalled the moment the second bomb's switch was found:
          'I will never forget hearing my sergeant say, "Lieutenant, we found the arm/safe switch." And I said, "Great." He said, "Not great. It's on arm..'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash

Comment

Working...
          X