• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not So Dishy Rishi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not So Dishy Rishi

He's annoying people on how he fills his dishwasher.

I'm so angry he used the term OCD - I need to go and lie down.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/08/rishi...sher-15385994/

And now the chancellor has also got himself into some hot water – by talking about his dishwasher.

In an interview with the Daily Mail, Rishi Sunak was asked whether he helps out with the household chores.

He laughed and said: ‘You should get my wife here. I have a very OCD approach to dishwashers, which she’ll tell you.

‘There’s a way to optimise how much stuff you can get in a dishwasher. My dad had it, I have it. I take great pride in that.

‘There’s a particular way I like beds to be made and things like that.’

Although clearly intending it to be a light-hearted comment, his words have attracted heavy criticism.

Jess Austin, who has OCD, wrote on Metro.co.uk today: ‘If Rishi had said, “I have to stack my dishwasher in a certain way because I worry if I don’t, something bad will happen to the people I love,” then I’d believe it. But on first glance, it seems like he’s just using the same lazy stereotype of the illness.

‘Public perception of OCD is so often about just being clean, tidy and putting things in order. In reality, it’s a whole lot more complicated.’

Marina Lussich, who works in strategy and sustainability, tweeted: ‘The chancellor Rishi Sunak doesn’t seem to know that OCD is a life-changing mental health condition.

‘You don’t have “a very OCD approach” to dishwashers, that’s disrespectful of people living with real OCD.’

Journalist Flora Gill wrote: ‘Can we please stop using the term “OCD” like it’s just a quirky personality trait! It’s a disorder that can have huge impacts on people’s lives and wellbeing.’

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Journalist Flora Gill wrote: ‘Can we please stop using the term “OCD” like it’s just a quirky personality trait! It’s a disorder that can have huge impacts on people’s lives and wellbeing.’
    I bet she's always saying that.

Comment

Glad I'm not a politician. Impossible to make a joke about anything.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

All he had to do was say, "I'm very particular about how I load the dishwasher". It's not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          All he had to do was say, "I'm very particular about how I load the dishwasher". It's not that hard.
          I have never heard anyone say that. I have heard lots of people say "I'm a bit OCD" about things and nobody has ever taken offence, including the people I know who actually have suffered from OCD.

OCD like Autism is a spectrum so you can quite accurately suffer from it slightly.

People should get a grip.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I have never heard anyone say that. I have heard lots of people say "I'm a bit OCD" about things and nobody has ever taken offence, including the people I know who actually have suffered from OCD.

OCD like Autism is a spectrum so you can quite accurately suffer from it slightly.

People should get a grip.
            I am very limp wristed and your post has caused me great distress. I demand much chutney in compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chutney Spoon View Post

I am very limp wristed and your post has caused me great distress. I demand much chutney in compensation.
              How do you open the jar?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

How do you open the jar?
                One is subcontracting to a jar-wallah who does the needful

Comment

Working...
                X