• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large hand-held drill for 1 metre thick stone wall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large hand-held drill for 1 metre thick stone wall

Any serious DIYers here?

I need a large hand held drill with a diamond core drill attachment, to drill a small (about an inch or 2.5 cm) hole through a roughly metre thick stone wall.

Searching, I can see only carpy little Black and Decker drills or, at the opposite extreme, huge diesel-powered drills on trailers, no doubt costing thousands.

What do bank robbers use to drill through thick concrete walls? That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, although I'm not planning to drill into a bank vault!

TIA
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

A meter? Yikes.

The answer to your question is they use a rig and a core drill like the Hilti DD350 (as made famous in the Hatton Park job)

That said, you probably don't need a core drill for your diameter but that's pretty deep.

Domestically you can do most things with an SDS with a clutch. It'd certainly do the diameter and you can get long SDS bits:

https://www.toolstation.com/sds-plus...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Forgot to add, don't start with a 20-30mm bit. I'd start with something like an 8mm, and maybe even step up again to 14 or so. And remember to go at an angle upwards to the inside to stop water.

And for my money you won't get better value than the Makita 2630. Superb kit if you don't mind it being wired
      Last edited by vwdan; 4 October 2021, 23:05.

Comment

Great, very many thanks for your prompt reply vwdan!

Now I wonder if one can buy walkie talkies that work through a metre of stone. (Only joking )
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 5 October 2021, 00:52.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Forgot to add, don't start with a 20-30mm bit. I'd start with something like an 8mm, and maybe even step up again to 14 or so. And remember to go at an angle upwards to the inside to stop water.

And for my money you won't get better value than the Makita 2630. Superb kit if you don't mind it being wired
          This. I borrowed a friends Hilti clutch drill to get through a double skin dense block wall to two and half feet or so with a shorter drill than in the links but went through like butter and going up drill sizes was much easier.

Also measure the depth of the wall and put some tape on the drill an inch or so less. You want to go through the last bit on normal drill else you bash through with the hammer and create a large crater at the other side. If it doesn't matter then, well, forget that bit.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            A meter? Yikes.
            It's OK, I've found a suitable drill bit:

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Any serious DIYers here?

I need a large hand held drill with a diamond core drill attachment, to drill a small (about an inch or 2.5 cm) hole through a roughly metre thick stone wall.

Searching, I can see only carpy little Black and Decker drills or, at the opposite extreme, huge diesel-powered drills on trailers, no doubt costing thousands.

What do bank robbers use to drill through thick concrete walls? That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, although I'm not planning to drill into a bank vault!

TIA
              Use a small archaeologist's pick because the prison officers might get suspicious of a drill.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

As VWD has said, get an SDS Plus. If you don’t want to go to the expense of a Hilti, or you don’t have many holes to drill:
                https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...ill-230v/7538j
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The guys who did the Hatton Park job got their drill from the Toolstation in Twickenham. My local!

Comment

If you are doing it yourself then as per the replies above, alternatively google your local area for diamond drillers (trade name) & get someone in
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X