• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how big should your warchest be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Really? Are you sure?

For the record, I'm 51 ... the optimal age to date 40 year old hot totty, apparently
    I'm 45, this totty is too old for your wrinkly arse

Comment

Really? Are you sure?

For the record, I'm 51 ... the optimal age to date 40 year old hot totty, apparently
      I have to disagree, it's 54 imho, well considering the number of offers I had in Leeds last Saturday night. I took none up as v.happy married and don't practice affairs or infidelity. You sound like me when I was newly divorced at 32, I did tire of it, but it took two years!
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post
        That IS the point. The answer does depend on a bunch of things. How rare are one's skills? What is their approach to risk?
        What are their outgoings? All of these are important factors, and we can discuss them as human beings. My apologies if the two of you don't fit that particular description.
        Things like keeping a war chest separated from one's actual savinngs... these are things that can be discussed.

I was seeking some answers and input from other contractors so my friend could understand what he's looking at.
        The people who are worth knowing provided them, and I am very grateful for their input.
        This below is the very open, and not very detailed question you asked. A question that is asked all the time on here so wouldn't have taken you 2 mins to find previous responses.

This ended up with a talk regarding the optimal size of one's warchest. I told him mine is set to cover me for 2 years, and he claims that's rather extreme and surely one shouldn't need more than 6 months if that.

What do you guys think?
        There was nothing of substance to respond to. If you knew the answer depended on a bunch of things already, why ask on here unless to show off that you have 2 years to live on?

When I started contracting my wife could support us 100% so I personally never needed a back up of savings ... everyone really is unique. So I revert back to my previous question ... how long is a piece of string?

As for my answer, it's true. I have enough to last until I'm 120 (120.91 years to quote my spreadsheet). I also have a log of what I spend each year so I know all my outgoings and therefore how much I need each year to live on as a basic amount - your friend probably needs to work those numbers and he will know the amount he needs and whether he has that ... and is comfortable potentially being out of work for a month or 2 and seeing his savings diminish.

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

This below is the very open, and not very detailed question you asked. A question that is asked all the time on here so wouldn't have taken you 2 mins to find previous responses.

There was nothing of substance to respond to. If you knew the answer depended on a bunch of things already, why ask on here unless to show off that you have 2 years to live on?
          FYI: us women are not always bound to the same level of empty competitiveness guys adhere to and it is not my job to ask myself "what is some old fart feels this is a dick measuring contest"
          When I started contracting my wife could support us 100% so I personally never needed a back up of savings ... everyone really is unique. So I revert back to my previous question ... how long is a piece of string?

As for my answer, it's true. I have enough to last until I'm 120 (120.91 years to quote my spreadsheet). I also have a log of what I spend each year so I know all my outgoings and therefore how much I need each year to live on as a basic amount - your friend probably needs to work those numbers and he will know the amount he needs and whether he has that ... and is comfortable potentially being out of work for a month or 2 and seeing his savings diminish.

because i am not asking for myself. I already gave the guy my point, but he wanted more opinions.
          Everybody does things their own way. I believe the warchest should be separate from one's savings/investments/retirement fund but that is how I do things. Some people lump it with their savings etc. Some people count their assets (bonds crypto etc) towards it.

I've never been out of contract for more than 2 weeks, but I choose to keep a large warchest because i've probably seen a bit more instability than most and thus i tend to be rather prudent. That's me. I've seen a revolution in my homeland and war while in the military, so my choices are informed by my experiences.

Other people do things differently because they are different people with different experiences.
          The reason why I asked is because my pal's experience as a 50 something Western guy is probably a lot closer to the average user here than to mine, so the advice can be more relevant to his circumstances than what I can give him. Having kids etc is another factor I can't help him with calculating for.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

I have to disagree, it's 54 imho, well considering the number of offers I had in Leeds last Saturday night. I took none up as v.happy married and don't practice affairs or infidelity. You sound like me when I was newly divorced at 32, I did tire of it, but it took two years!
            I'm actually all talk .. I'm only dating the one girl and I'm always faithful (but don't tell Vetty, he hero worships me as a super stud). Would never cheat, never did for the 26 years I was with Mrs W, and don't plan to now. I am having fun with the young hot totty and if it goes further then great, if not then we'll both part and move on.

Comment

I'm actually all talk .. I'm only dating the one girl and I'm always faithful (but don't tell Vetty, he hero worships me as a super stud). Would never cheat, never did for the 26 years I was with Mrs W, and don't plan to now. I am having fun with the young hot totty and if it goes further then great, if not then we'll both part and move on.
              your fanclub will be disappointed

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

your fanclub will be relieved
                FTFY
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm actually all talk ..
                  We know. Now tuck in your blanket and drink up your cocoa, granddad

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

We know. Now tuck in your blanket and drink up your cocoa, granddad
                    It is that time of night ... just gonna go put the kettle on

Comment

I don't explicitly keep a separate warchest. Do others view it has how many months their Ltd could continue to pay salary/dividends without any income?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X