• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you seen the Jewson prices lately?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

What's that got to do with anything?
    Fence panels up but fish and chips for 50p. Gotta take these opportunities as they arise in post Brexit Britain.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
      Not just building materials, of course, it seems like just about everything from used cars (up 30% this year) to energy prices. Conveniently, there's a separate explanatory narrative for each (micro chips, Russia etc) but let's get real. Something's going on, isn't it? Glad I locked in my 5 year sub 1% fix just a couple of weeks ago and don't have any cash savings.
      Just traded in my old car against something new. Got £3k more for it than I was quoted last year despite having more miles on the clock and having a few extra scuffs and scrapes. Actually got more for it than I would have done through one of those car buying sites and close to what I would have got selling privately without the hassle of tyre kickers and haggling over price.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Just traded in my old car against something new. Got £3k more for it than I was quoted last year despite having more miles on the clock and having a few extra scuffs and scrapes. Actually got more for it than I would have done through one of those car buying sites and close to what I would have got selling privately without the hassle of tyre kickers and haggling over price.
        Ooh...maybe now's the time to flog my old jalopy

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

We were planning on a new (to us) motor this year (11 year old focus getting a bit knackered). Since what we were looking at (3 year old, low mileage) has risen to within 3k of brand new, we have gone for the latter - 6-7 month wait notwithstanding. Logic being that even if wait times come down next year, we'll still have it quicker if ordered now, and it looks like prices are only likely to go one way in the meantime..

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Yep - I've been doing a lot of work, building a wall and such and it's been an absolute nightmare. Cement, especially
            Around here at least supply seems to have evened out again - in the summer some builders' yards basically had signs up "no cement". There were rumours it was all prioritised for HS2 and Wimpey. Of course we import loads of our raw materials but even in the USA wood (lumber ) has been rocketing in price, when they grow their own.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

We were planning on a new (to us) motor this year (11 year old focus getting a bit knackered). Since what we were looking at (3 year old, low mileage) has risen to within 3k of brand new, we have gone for the latter - 6-7 month wait notwithstanding. Logic being that even if wait times come down next year, we'll still have it quicker if ordered now, and it looks like prices are only likely to go one way in the meantime..
              Done pretty much the same. Gone for new as it was close to the price of used and got lucky that the dealer had one that was the spec we wanted in the showroom. Otherwise would be a 4 month wait.

Comment

Go electric before there is literally no petrol or diesel to run it anyway.
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  This will be our last ICE, I'm pretty sure of that.

Comment

One problem - there is a shortage of natural gas.

In the UK we use natural gas to generate electricity since we have got rid of coal powered stations..............
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Gone plug in hybrid for now. We did look at full electric but the charging infrastructure isn't quite there yet to support long journeys reliably. Give it 3 years and we'll be looking again.

Comment

Working...
                      X