• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news for the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news for the UK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rity-pact.html

Apparently the Australians didn't need the automatic white flag or cheese fridge options for their subs.

Global war of words over China: Furious France says it has been 'stabbed in the back' by UK-US defence pact to take on Beijing by building Australia's nuclear-powered submarines - which will be BANNED from New Zealand
    • Unprecedented security partnership was announced by Boris Johnson, Joe Biden and Scott Morrison
    • The agreement will see UK, US and Australia share nuclear technology secrets in tech battle with the Chinese
    • The pact means Australian navy will be equipped with nuclear-powered vessels made in the UK and the US
    • France was due to make Australia's new subs - but claimed last night it had been 'stabbed in the back'
    • New Zealand also isolated with Jacinda Ardern declaring the submarines will be banned from their waters
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

• France was due to make Australia's new subs - but claimed last night it had been 'stabbed in the back'
    To be fair, if someone is running away, it's difficult to stab them anywhere else...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I thought it was all very open. More a sort of stabbing in the front. Certainly good news for the Aussies. Bad news for the Chinese.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is it good news for the UK?

Building machines that, if ever used in anger - will be destroyed and sunk - to later contaminate our ocean with radiation is not a great thing.

We've been "lucky" so far , in the ones that have already sank, sank very very deeply so thankfully don't affect our food stocks . yet.

Also, not great for Aussie / NZ relations either, since they have a ban on nuclear warships in their waters.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          Is it good news for the UK?

Building machines that, if ever used in anger - will be destroyed and sunk - to later contaminate our ocean with radiation is not a great thing.

We've been "lucky" so far , in the ones that have already sank, sank very very deeply so thankfully don't affect our food stocks . yet.

Also, not great for Aussie / NZ relations either, since they have a ban on nuclear warships in their waters.
          Robert Oppenheimer is the reason we have had skirmishes not a proper war since 1945. MAD works I would give him a nobel peace prize.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
            How much radiation do you think these tubs contain? In > 330 million cubic miles of oceanic water, unless you're a believer in homeopathy, the chances of a leak affecting food stocks in any significant way are miniscule.

Mercury and other bio-accumulating heavy metals are rather more problematic than a few kg of plutonium.

Some light reading.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Apparently the Australians didn't need the automatic white flag or cheese fridge options for their subs. ..
              OTOH ..

2021-09-17 Why the French are revolting - Our neighbours have always been the best fighters in Europe
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I seem to recall the French did a sterling job of protecting the Dunkirk evacuees. 40,000 French soldiers died defending the city to enable the British army (and 120,000 French soldiers) to escape.

Comment

Anything that pisses off the French is ok by me. Hate 'em. Well, the governments anyway.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                  X