• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free plants! (If you're in Devon)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    wow £7-£8.50 an hour

nearly as much as Lidl pay in Yeovil on start £9.50 - £10.70

https://www.google.com/search?q=lidl...:1628697481360

Thrive are paying £17 an hour for class2 HGV drivers in Yeovil not £13.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hgv+...B0AAAAAA%3D%3D
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The pay rates are on the website. Above NMW, but customers want cheap products, so either lower paid staff or higher prices to customers.
      Unfortunately the GBeebies generation prefer to blame on a fact-free basis.
      Oh well if it's on the website it must be all above board.

Yes, the rates they pay the people through the books are on the website. They are clearly not going to advertise the cash-in-hand rate now, are they?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Anyone in the Exeter/Newton Abbot/Plymouth area, Plants Galore are giving away a lot of their plants starting on Friday.

https://growndirect.co.uk
        Thanks for the heads up. It's not far from me, so I may toddle down there and grab some fruit trees
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

wow £7-£8.50 an hour

nearly as much as Lidl pay in Yeovil on start £9.50 - £10.70

https://www.google.com/search?q=lidl...:1628697481360

Thrive are paying £17 an hour for class2 HGV drivers in Yeovil not £13.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hgv+...B0AAAAAA%3D%3D
          Where did you get £7-£8.50 an hour? The lowest paid job is £9-£10 a hour.

Sounds like you're saying all HGV 2 drivers should be paid the same hourly rate and that different rates of pay across different companies is a bad thing? It's not exploitation to not pay the same as other local companies.

If the applicant wants an extra £4 a hour, they're welcome to go and work for Lidl instead. What if the garden centre were really nice to work for and Lidl were monsters? Is that £4 an hour worth it then?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Where did you get £7-£8.50 an hour? The lowest paid job is £9-£10 a hour.

Sounds like you're saying all HGV 2 drivers should be paid the same hourly rate and that different rates of pay across different companies is a bad thing? It's not exploitation to not pay the same as other local companies.

If the applicant wants an extra £4 a hour, they're welcome to go and work for Lidl instead. What if the garden centre were really nice to work for and Lidl were monsters? Is that £4 an hour worth it then?

Higher Rates of Pay than Minimum Wage for Younger Employees – we can offer immediate start vacancies

We can offer the following higher rates of pay after an initial training period:

17 to 18 years of age – £7.00 per hour

19 to 22 years of age – £8.50 per hour

Lidl are generally considered excellent employers with good career progression,

Lidl do pay living wages unlike many supermarkets.

No but as the argument is the garden centre cannot get staff and they are paying acceptable money. I chose a respected large employer looking for a similar skill set then showed the wage is £4 higher. HGV drivers are in shortage at present so wages are in flux.

It seems the garden centre are offering "multi drop" and dealing with the public. This is far less popular with lorry drivers than long distance which the Thrive are offering. Multi drop is stressful and tends to drag out just as it was when we did deliveries 30 years ago, the customers were always irate if their afternoon delivery turned up after 12:30.

Most lorry drivers either prefer trunk (between depots) or long distance between companies normally. Less traffic and idiot customers.

If you have ever done delivery for the public they expect all kinds of extra service they didn't pay for even though you are on 20+ deliveries a day.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Lidl are generally considered excellent employers with good career progression,

Lidl do pay living wages unlike many supermarkets.

No but as the argument is the garden centre cannot get staff and they are paying acceptable money. I chose a respected large employer looking for a similar skill set then showed the wage is £4 higher. HGV drivers are in shortage at present so wages are in flux.

It seems the garden centre are offering "multi drop" and dealing with the public. This is far less popular with lorry drivers than long distance which the Thrive are offering. Multi drop is stressful and tends to drag out just as it was when we did deliveries 30 years ago, the customers were always irate if their afternoon delivery turned up after 12:30.

Most lorry drivers either prefer trunk (between depots) or long distance between companies normally. Less traffic and idiot customers.

If you have ever done delivery for the public they expect all kinds of extra service they didn't pay for even though you are on 20+ deliveries a day.
              Ok so the headline rate obscured the actual rates given in the job spec. I didn't realise that. I see you'd only get the £9-£10 an hour if you signed up to the performance bonus scheme. Not sure what I think of the 'opportunity' to work 40-50 hours a week in peak season

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I may toddle down there and grab some fruit trees
                Not far from me either but I think you'll probably find that it is only likely to be the seasonal excess plants that are all on their last legs anyway.
                May swing by myself and take a look but not getting my hopes up of too many real bargains.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Ok so the headline rate obscured the actual rates given in the job spec. I didn't realise that. I see you'd only get the £9-£10 an hour if you signed up to the performance bonus scheme. Not sure what I think of the 'opportunity' to work 40-50 hours a week in peak season
                  If you've got a student loan to pay off (remember, unlike some of us older ones, there's no free tertiary education, or "grants" on top, if you were lucky.)

It's funny how a free plants giveaway is turned by some into a row about lazy brits, greedy shops etc. Easier to throw muck than sell plants.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's funny how a free plants giveaway is turned by some into a row about lazy brits, greedy shops etc. Easier to throw muck than sell plants.
                    Well this IS General. Keep up!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Well this IS General. Keep up!
                      Shirley you'd be interested in free stuff near you. Or have you moved out of the area, which would explain the rise in house prices?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X