• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunak Hints U.K. Government May Drop Pensions Triple Lock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

The UK state pension needs to double in order to make up lost ground.
    You could say the same about tax thresholds - lots of stealth tax increases there, as the thresholds don't keep pace with inflation.
    Even general pay rises, case in point being the 1% "increase" offered to the NHS workers, which is a real terms cut of about the same. There should be some rule about calling a payrise a "rise" when it is lower than the rate of inflation, and any quoted increase should be based off the inflations figure just as it is for GDP.

Comment

Seems to me the 3XL in principle is good but never took this kind of corner case into account - an omission that can I think be understood. How might you design an alternative to deliver the intended result of 3XL without being vulnerable to this particular issue where salaries fall off a cliff then bounce back? Simply take it over a longer period than 1 year?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
        There should be some rule about calling a payrise a "rise" when it is lower than the rate of inflation, and any quoted increase should be based off the inflations figure just as it is for GDP.
        Increases could always be given in terms of "X% above inflation" I suppose.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

You could say the same about tax thresholds - lots of stealth tax increases there, as the thresholds don't keep pace with inflation.
          Even general pay rises, case in point being the 1% "increase" offered to the NHS workers, which is a real terms cut of about the same. There should be some rule about calling a payrise a "rise" when it is lower than the rate of inflation, and any quoted increase should be based off the inflations figure just as it is for GDP.
          There was the old trick of employers making 10% pay cut for workers, and them give them a 10% increase a few months later. However, his does not work out
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
          X