• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Garden Wars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Wars

Which miserable one of this is you?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ghbour-dispute

A tree cleaved in half has become an attraction in a residential part of South Yorkshire after a dispute between neighbours.

Bharat Mistry said he and his family were “gutted” when their nextdoor neighbours asked tree surgeons to cut down half the branches of a 5 metre fir tree that had stood in his garden in the Sheffield suburb of Waterthorpe for 25 years.

He said: “We were absolutely distraught. We pleaded and pleaded with them not to do it, but their mind was made up. That tree was coming down.”

Mistry, 56, said he had been embroiled in a year-long dispute with his neighbours over birds roosting in the tree, which they said generated too much noise and mess in the drive of their bungalow.

Without Mistry’s knowledge, an image of the tree was posted on Reddit with the title: “Some traditional British pettiness on display.” The image and account have since been deleted.

The picture went viral after it was anonymously sent in to Jeremy Vine’s Channel 5 TV show, and it has been turned into memes on social media, prompting visits from curious people.

Mistry’s daughter said the family had become “Instagram famous without meaning to”.

Mistry said he had trimmed the tree into a ball shape, which his neighbour had agreed with until birds began roosting in the tree, “which you would expect at this time of the year”. He said relations with the neighbours had previously been amicable and he had trimmed the branches lower down the tree to make space for the neighbours' car.

Mistry, who lives in a three-bedroom property with his wife and two daughters, asked the neighbours not to have the branches removed, but acknowledged they were entitled to do so as the tree protruded by a metre on to their property.

The neighbours have refused requests to comment. Others in the street shared Mistry’s disappointment at the tree’s misshapen appearance.

One woman who wished to remain anonymous said: “When I saw it, I just thought ‘oh my God, what a shame.’ It’s a lovely tree and adds to the feature of the house and the street.”

Another neighbour who did not want to be named said: “It ruins the visual aspect for everyone.”
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

A tree cleaved in half has become an attraction in a residential part of South Yorkshire
    To be fair, half a tree would be quite exciting in most of Sheffield
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Fail without knowing how much 3 bedroom property was worth before and after the birds nested
      Last edited by AtW; 24 June 2021, 13:08.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Fail without knowing how much 3 bedroom property was worth before and after the birds nested
        I'm sure you can find the story elsewhere where the house price is given.

Comment

The irony is that within a couple of years those chopped branches will grow back thicker and busher than ever!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It doesn't surprise me, it's the sort of thing my neighbours would do.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              It doesn't surprise me, it's the sort of thing my neighbours would do.
              That's because they hope you'll move away

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That's because they hope you'll move away

Comment

Seriously, had I been the neighbour with the tree, I'd fit a long metal grill along the side of my house nearest the neighbours who trimmed the tree, and fill it with wholemeal bread slices each morning to attract every seagull for miles around! You can buy bread past its sell by date for pennies.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Seriously, had I been the neighbour with the tree, I'd fit a long metal grill along the side of my house nearest the neighbours who trimmed the tree, and fill it with wholemeal bread slices each morning to attract every seagull for miles around! You can buy bread past its sell by date for pennies.
                    Spoken like a true contractor...(Edit: from Yorkshire)
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X