• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Garden Wars

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Garden Wars"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Code:
    Sadly not, it's a fir.
    True. Hacked back my hedge years ago and they all died. I still feel guilty.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Only cut it in half? The ancient art of "topiary" allows for a much broader range of shapes and outlines..

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

OK plan B - Dig up the tree, and replace it with a row of Leylandii. That'll keep the neighbours busy in a couple of years!

Edit: I think it's perfectly legal to let Leylandii grow to roof-top height

What an evil idea.

The problem with leylandii is stopping the feckers when they get to roof height.

I well remember next door's "miniature pines" which were 40 feet tall in 3 years.

There's another further up the road that's easily 45 to 50 feet, and must be about 10 to 15 feet across at the base.

The jackdaws & crows love it.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Sadly not, it's a fir.

But with the side open like that the tweety birds will have a fecking field day.
    OK plan B - Dig up the tree, and replace it with a row of Leylandii. That'll keep the neighbours busy in a couple of years!

Edit: I think it's perfectly legal to let Leylandii grow to roof-top height

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'd use trained grey squirrels to take over the nest.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    The irony is that within a couple of years those chopped branches will grow back thicker and busher than ever!
    Sadly not, it's a fir.

But with the side open like that the tweety birds will have a fecking field day.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Buy the bread? You can mek it at home for free!
    "Make" would use more energy then buying stale bread.

Just use the bits leftover or the crusts your kids refuse to eat.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Buy the bread? You can mek it at home for free!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Seriously, had I been the neighbour with the tree, I'd fit a long metal grill along the side of my house nearest the neighbours who trimmed the tree, and fill it with wholemeal bread slices each morning to attract every seagull for miles around! You can buy bread past its sell by date for pennies.
    Spoken like a true contractor...(Edit: from Yorkshire)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Seriously, had I been the neighbour with the tree, I'd fit a long metal grill along the side of my house nearest the neighbours who trimmed the tree, and fill it with wholemeal bread slices each morning to attract every seagull for miles around! You can buy bread past its sell by date for pennies.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That's because they hope you'll move away

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    It doesn't surprise me, it's the sort of thing my neighbours would do.
    That's because they hope you'll move away

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    It doesn't surprise me, it's the sort of thing my neighbours would do.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The irony is that within a couple of years those chopped branches will grow back thicker and busher than ever!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Fail without knowing how much 3 bedroom property was worth before and after the birds nested
    I'm sure you can find the story elsewhere where the house price is given.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X