• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Every single IT project manager at a bank ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every single IT project manager at a bank ever

Will also be caught

https://www.contractorweekly.com/tax...ir35-tribunal/

Judicial Review is the next stage so it is not over yet.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Its odd when you sign a contract with an agency that includes a ROS that the Agency and R35 can ignore that. If the client & agency did not intend to honour it. Why can't you after you lose the case sue the agent & client for breach of contract and resultant damages?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Its odd when you sign a contract with an agency that includes a ROS that the Agency and R35 can ignore that. If the client & agency did not intend to honour it. Why can't you after you lose the case sue the agent & client for breach of contract and resultant damages?
        I'm no expert, but I'm guessing to sue you have to prove a loss, and you can't prove a loss when it's a point of law that says you have to pay that money
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The taxman claimed Lee’s contract with the high street bank fell inside IR35, meaning he was liable to pay National Insurance Contributions (NICs) and Income Tax on earnings from the assignment.
          This bit I don't really understand. How is the income tax amount calculated here? I assume this person took out dividends and paid dividend tax on those - is that taken into account? What if they split income with a spouse and their spouse also paid dividend tax?

Comment

It's an interesting thought that a PM can't be substituted as it would take too long to get up to speed ... surely that's the same for any/every role? Even a programmer needs a few days to understand what has gone on before, what requirements are, how the current code looks, dev and release processes etc ..... ?
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post

This bit I don't really understand. How is the income tax amount calculated here? I assume this person took out dividends and paid dividend tax on those - is that taken into account? What if they split income with a spouse and their spouse also paid dividend tax?
              I think we've had a few posts on this but can't remember the exact outcome. Won't they just take the gross amount of income and tax it as inside and then just demand that figure back minus taxes already paid? I seem to remember in one of the posts something about them not even taking in to account taxes paid but I don't know if that was just a discussion point or whoever mentioned it referred to a case or not.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post

Re corp tax, there may be a case for a refund as the NICs and salary the contractor 'could' take out the company will impact profits and hence less corp tax to pay.

Re divs, it's unrelated. They have been paid and can't claim that tax back. Of course if the contractor does now pay himself 'salary' for these years to reduce his profit (and hence corp tax) he will now have a bigger personal tax liability as he also took out divis the same tax year.

All very messy ... I'm probably wrong on some of this as just thinking off top of my head, but needs some proper thinking to get this right for the contractor.

This is one reason I closed my LTD down a few years ago and just go umbrella now - costs more, but at least I'm not going to get that knock on the door any more. I think contracting as we've known it for the past 20 years is over, welcome to the new world of a virtually bankrupt country that needs to squeeze high earners until they squeak!
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  It's an interesting thought that a PM can't be substituted as it would take too long to get up to speed ... surely that's the same for any/every role? Even a programmer needs a few days to understand what has gone on before, what requirements are, how the current code looks, dev and release processes etc ..... ?
                  What people forget is that when they provide a substitute it is up to them to get that substitute up to speed in their own time and money. You don't just send a new guy in on the Monday and all is well, that's not a substitute. The sub should be able to pick up the day after the contractor isn't available to some degree of competence. Often the term sub is banded about without people really thinking about how it should work.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I think we've had a few posts on this but can't remember the exact outcome. Won't they just take the gross amount of income and tax it as inside and then just demand that figure back minus taxes already paid? I seem to remember in one of the posts something about them not even taking in to account taxes paid but I don't know if that was just a discussion point or whoever mentioned it referred to a case or not.
                    But this makes even less sense. If my spouse is getting dividends from my company, she is in no way involved with the contract work itself - how could that income be treated as PAYE?

Comment

Working...
                    X