• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by interested
    I haven't done the maths but it's probably cheaper to have them working and at least paying some taxes rather just having them on the dole. However the size of the public sector pensions liability is extremely worrying.
    Where do you thing the money comes from to pay wages and benefits - the same place. If they pay tax it only means a minor discount on their cost. The pension liability is a BIG problem. Then there is the damage they do with the money they have at their disposal as part of their jobs.

It is far, far cheaper to keep them on benefits.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird

There were loads of them today moaning that they would have to lose a couple of hours pay because of the snow and the Gvt Agency should credit them the hours !!!
      They do here they just get their boss to fiddle the hours, the same happens if the trains are late any day of the week for whatever reason and don't get me started on the amount of sick leave and holidays they take, do you get the queens birthday off? Paid? The MoD does, free child care? The MoD does, 5 days extra holiday after 2 years service? The MoD does... the list goes on.

My (permy) boss said yesterday that if I was late because of the snow he would let me book for a full day even if it took me 4 hours to get in! Different world mate... different world. When I first started working here I was reading '1984' in my lunch breaks and the similarities are quite frightening, everyone is mollycoddled in this artificial world they call work.

Trouble is I have been here so long I don’t think I could cope with the real world myself and I am hanging on grimly worried about whether I will get descent gig ever again.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
        Where do you thing the money comes from to pay wages and benefits - the same place. If they pay tax it only means a minor discount on their cost. The pension liability is a BIG problem. Then there is the damage they do with the money they have at their disposal as part of their jobs.

It is far, far cheaper to keep them on benefits.
        I'm not sure cheaper was the right word. In terms of a simple calculation - is x cheaper than y then benefits might look cheaper. 'Better' might be the word I'm looking for.

Essentially my point is - is it 'better' for the country to have a million people on benefits, or those same million people working, albeit paid for by the state/taxes?

Comment

They also give the transport system something to do after 9.00 a.m and before 4.00 pm
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

They are rather good at strikes too

http://www.xoggoth.org/pages/bloggoth8.html#public
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

yup

public sector is where i want to be in 10 years time.....

low stress, low expectations...holidays and pensions....pay won't be amazing...

but knowing me, i'll probably still moan...!

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract
                pay won't be amazing...
                You're right there its fecking awfull but if all you want is beer money untill retirement you can't go wrong.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  You're right there its fecking awfull but if all you want is beer money untill retirement you can't go wrong.
                  What a waste of a life public sector permying must be!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    What a waste of a life public sector permying must be!
                    waste of sperm and egg

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract
                      public sector is where i want to be in 10 years time.....

low stress, low expectations...holidays and pensions....pay won't be amazing...

but knowing me, i'll probably still moan...!
                      God, what a great plan, wish I'd thought of it when I was young: a few years contracting, save all your money. Then the rest of your career in the public sector, no stress while your savings build compound interest. Retire young, secure, and not broken by years of toil.

Comment

Working...
                      X