• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendigo100
    What a waste of a life public sector permying must be!
    No not a waste of life at all, public sector employees have plenty of life, they have too much life, family related occasions, and other numerous things to do that they can't fit in work in their life. Work is a very very tiny inconvenient part of a public sector's life

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      What a waste of a life public sector permying must be!
      It depends on what you want out of life, if you're not motivated by money and want maximum r&r time then its easy street.

On the other side of the coin I see many people work themselves into an early grave chasing the $$$'s

To be honest though if you do it right contracting can be the best of both worlds.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

There are a lot of very good public sector workers out there. There would be more if we made them accountable and allowed them to be paid their worth. Instead the liberals bang on about how wonderful these "poor hardworking people " are thus making them feel underpriviliged and hated.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

As all professional private sector jobs are going to be outsourced, our destiny is to work for the public sector, looking after each other's needs.

HTH
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            As all professional private sector jobs are going to be outsourced, our destiny is to work for the public sector, looking after each other's needs.

HTH

OK - I admit it a friend of mine who is recruiting for a consultancy was sent on a spying mission to check out Cr@p-Gemini's (btw: they run the HMRC website) SAP recruitment fair last night - the head of sector was adamant that the whole of government work will be outsourced to India.
            India is the future he said .. the funny thing is almost 95% of applicant who came to the fair are Indians. I drank the free wine and ate all the free food and got the gift bac (had a free memory stick in it) and left.

Anyway my point is all govenment work is to be outsourced too.

Comment

I am in one of the big consultancies and the standard practice seems to be to bag multi million pound contracts and then get them done cheaply in India unless the customer absolutely insists that work has to be done in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                It depends on what you want out of life, if you're not motivated by money and want maximum r&r time then its easy street.

On the other side of the coin I see many people work themselves into an early grave chasing the $$$'s

To be honest though if you do it right contracting can be the best of both worlds.
                Yes, I was responding more to the comment: "its fecking awfull but if all you want is beer money untill retirement you can't go wrong."

In the past I've seen many permies in the private sector with this sort of attitude - the hours of nine-to-five are only a sort of penance in order to pick up their paycheck. Maybe I'm wrong but I just assumed it is more widespread in the public sector.

For people to write off a third of their waking life seems bizarre, although in most cases I guess they don't know how to change it, and those in cushy numbers in the public sector aren't going to get the kick up the arse they need to find out.

Comment

All the civil servants on the IT support section here are moving sideways into other civil service posts rather than be outsourced by the 'Atlas consortium' (EDS mainly) as they don't want to lose their pensions and other benefits.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                    All the civil servants on the IT support section here are moving sideways into other civil service posts rather than be outsourced by the 'Atlas consortium' (EDS mainly) as they don't want to lose their pensions and other benefits.

Abbeywood per chance??

Comment

Originally posted by The Farmer
                      Abbeywood per chance??
                      tulip... I've been rumbled again! I'm the big bloke with the tash and news paper with the holes in it that sits in the corner looking shifty.

Comment

Working...
                      X