• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

------------------
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 9 February 2007, 11:27. Reason: potential to offend future client
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      There are a lot of very good public sector workers out there. There would be more if we made them accountable and allowed them to be paid their worth. Instead the liberals bang on about how wonderful these "poor hardworking people " are thus making them feel underpriviliged and hated.

Some sense at last! Civil Sepents are not just there to push paper around meaninglessly. I won't defend them all but who do think sorts out the bird flu incident, keeps you safe in bed while terrorists plan, etc? Some don't see their families for months on end if they're deployed out in Iraq or Afghanistan, mind you one who came back was made a CBE (MBE?) for work in Iraq organising the Iraq poice force immediately after Bagdhad fell, aged mid thirties. How many contractors can come home from work at the end of a day and know they've done something worthwhile beyond earning a wadge of cash.

If you envy the pension then save the cash you earn and take a sensible salary.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPearce
        Some sense at last! Civil Sepents are not just there to push paper around meaninglessly. I won't defend them all but who do think sorts out the bird flu incident, keeps you safe in bed while terrorists plan, etc? Some don't see their families for months on end if they're deployed out in Iraq or Afghanistan, mind you one who came back was made a CBE (MBE?) for work in Iraq organising the Iraq poice force immediately after Bagdhad fell, aged mid thirties. How many contractors can come home from work at the end of a day and know they've done something worthwhile beyond earning a wadge of cash.

No matter how much or how little they do they will schimf, moan, drip and stamp their feet at a rate that is disproportionate to the true overall output.

HTH

Comment

The pension is good and the salary is crap, its a trade off.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
            You are a public sector, permi infiltraitor and I claim my £5.

Comment

I would not go that far. The public sector is run primarily for the benefit of those who run it, secondly for the benefit of those who work in it and lastly for those who use it. The fact that they occasionally do things right is usually by sheer chance or that those who run it (HM govt) may lose power.

The dynamics that make the private sector work so efficiently by comparison (consumer choice and accountability) do not apply to the public sector. The public sector gets away with its restrictive monopolies because the services it delivers are needed by everyone and not just those who can afford it (which begs the question if food is a basic necessity why does its supply mechanism via the private sector work so efficiently?).

The market economy is crudely and efficiently measured by money, which is why the public sector monopolies exist. We are fooled into believing that they provide vital services that people cannot themselves afford. Whilst this may be a fair point the reality is that the public sector is a scandalous failure. What is worse the more it fails, the bigger it gets in trying to plaster over the problems that it creates in the first place (most criminals are recipients of public sector educations for example)

Applying private sector dynamics to public sector services is the challenge that government should be engaging, but they dont (how often do we hear anyone discussing a voucher system to give people choice over education for example?).

The reasons they dont are because New Labour rely heavily upon the status quo for their power base. Nor do they have any real desire to change anything because the welfare industry for example, not only employs people who support labour but also those who live off benefits support labour.

The conservatives are cowed by the twisted "morality" presumption that the public sector/welfare system is somehow benign. If they are seen to try and dismantle what is in actual fact an evil system they will be accused of cruelty by the huge public sector machine.

That my friends is why no one votes for any political party. They all offer us much the same, i.e useless public services.

Bring on the revolution!
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

DA.

I like you.

Now, off for a lie-down

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  That used to be the case. Now the pension is good and the salary is good too, which is why we are looking at serious financial problems for the country when they all start retiring at 50 on full pensions.

Comment

Dodgy,

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    That my friends is why no one votes for any political party. They all offer us much the same, i.e useless public services.

Bring on the revolution!
                    Tell that to the ambulance or fire crew who attended 7/7. Talk to the wife of Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull or stand at the grave of L/Cpl Mathew Ford of 45 Commando Royal Marines.

Comment

Dodgy,

Tell that to the ambulance or fire crew who attended 7/7. Talk to the wife of Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull or stand at the grave of L/Cpl Mathew Ford of 45 Commando Royal Marines.
                      Front line men of action sent by back office paper-pushers...

to whom I, for one, am refering.

A low grade civil servant holds more power and sway than a middle ranking military NCO.

I hope I have made my point.

Comment

Working...
                      X