• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dark winter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I also went full LED - using Osram bulbs from Argos (other stores are available). I've found them to be just as good and like how I can choose "colour tints" too. So far, in 3 years - 1 has failed out of maybe 20 or so.
    Colour is another interesting point. I've come to realise I like Halogen because they are 3000K IIRC, but most 'warm white' LEDs I see are 2700K which is noticeably yellower. I prefer 3000K which means I sometimes I have to buy whatever I can find, brandwise.
    I can't remember are old-school filament bulbs 3000 or more like 2200?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

5w and night vision goggles is more than anyone needs for a whole house.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Colour is another interesting point. I've come to realise I like Halogen because they are 3000K IIRC, but most 'warm white' LEDs I see are 2700K which is noticeably yellower. I prefer 3000K which means I sometimes I have to buy whatever I can find, brandwise.
        I can't remember are old-school filament bulbs 3000 or more like 2200?
        I believe tungsten filament bulbs are 2700K, but with so much lighting now at harsher levels the warm white seems yellower. It was similar with car headlights, when halogen lights came in they seemed a lot whiter than the ones they were replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Indeed. On the plus side you can get LED replacements for tubes which seem good, fitted a couple in our under counter lights.
          I know. But this was cheaper. Which is weird.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They will get cheaper with time,. I always find Osram a reputable make . They have been around for years .

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
              I also went full LED - using Osram bulbs from Argos (other stores are available). I've found them to be just as good and like how I can choose "colour tints" too. So far, in 3 years - 1 has failed out of maybe 20 or so.
              Yeah Osram are my preference. I think it's a step it the right direction , as when fluorescent lamps / discharge lighting gets replaced it will become more efficient . Look how many super markets and offices use discharge lighting . They have to use a multiplication factor of 1.8 to ascertain your current amperage levels when designing lighting circuits

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I have over 80 spots in the house and swapped all the halogens out for LED and they are great. No problems with them at all. That said they do fail a lot more than they say they do though. Replaced more than I thought I would have to in the few years I've had them through. Went from 2.4KW with the whole house on to 320W.

Choosing the right ones is key though and I think many people will make mistakes. There is such a bewildering array of white shades, lighting angles and positioning of LED element within the unit. It did take me a bit of time to get the ones I wanted. I have fairly low ceilings so if I got the ones where the elements are right up against the glass you end up staring right at the element so had to make sure the elements were up in the bulb to get the right ones. Also got a problem that the ones I have are now difficult to get hold of.

They do present a whole new range of issues but IMO swapping to LED was the best thing we did.
                Image buildings such as hospitals and office blocks which use fluorescent lighting i.e discharge lighting, when they full switch over to LED pardon the pun ? they will see a high saving

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post

I believe tungsten filament bulbs are 2700K, but with so much lighting now at harsher levels the warm white seems yellower. It was similar with car headlights, when halogen lights came in they seemed a lot whiter than the ones they were replacing.
                  Thing is with halogen lamps , if you get a finger mark on them it reduces thier lifespan so will blow much more often

Comment

Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post

Yeah Osram are my preference. I think it's a step it the right direction , as when fluorescent lamps / discharge lighting gets replaced it will become more efficient . Look how many super markets and offices use discharge lighting . They have to use a multiplication factor of 1.8 to ascertain your current amperage levels when designing lighting circuits
                    Oddly fluorescent tubes aren't the worst as they are only rated 15W to 36W. The LED tubes are anywhere between 9w and 40w and are more expensive to buy plus possible cost to retro fit so I'd imagine most places won't be in a rush to swap them out.

It's the individual 60-100w bulbs is where the savings really are.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Oddly fluorescent tubes aren't the worst as they are only rated 15W to 36W. The LED tubes are anywhere between 9w and 40w and are more expensive to buy plus possible cost to retro fit so I'd imagine most places won't be in a rush to swap them out.

It's the individual 60-100w bulbs is where the savings really are.
                      Quality of light is amazing switching fluoro -> LED though... for what it's worth. However you can also buy batten lights up to 6' which are cheap as chips. Seem to be more reliable than individual bulbs, maybe it's worth QC on a £30+ item but not a £3 item
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X