• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quite impressive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite impressive

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...mbulances.html

First its idiot proof cardiac shock machines now its robot cpr

'Robot paramedics' are being used for the first time in the UK to carry out chest compressions on patients in ambulances
    • The LUCAS 3 device is a mechanical machine that can delivery CPR
    • It uses Bluetooth to configure the compression rate, depth and alerts
    • It can also collect data which can be reviewed and shared with other clinicians
    • South Central Ambulance Charity has funded 28 of the devices to support crews across Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Hampshire
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Excellent device!

Not that difficult without one though.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Having done a bit of CPR training on one of those dolls, you really have to push hard to get the desired effect. It's quite hard work and knackering if you had to do it for any length of time.

Sometimes, in order to do CPR properly, you can end up breaking ribs and what not. You could say that's a small trade off for not being dead but actually the outcomes from CPR are not always good.

Background Outcome of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) can be poor, in terms of life expectancy and quality of life.

Objectives To determine the impact of patient characteristics before, during, and after CPR on these outcomes, and to compare results of the quality-of-life assessment with published studies.

Methods In a cohort study, we assessed by formal instruments the quality of life, cognitive functioning, depression, and level of dependence of survivors after in-hospital CPR. Follow-up was at least 3 months after discharge from the hospital (tertiary care center).

Results Of 827 resuscitated patients, 12% (n = 101) survived to follow-up. Of the survivors, 89% participated in the study. Most survivors were independent in daily life (75%), 17% were cognitively impaired, and 16% had depressive symptoms. Multivariate regression analysis showed that quality of life and cognitive function were determined by 2 factors known before CPR—the reason for admission and age. Factors during and after resuscitation, such as prolonged cardiac arrest and coma, did not significantly determine the quality of life or cognitive functioning of survivors. The quality of life of our CPR survivors was worse compared with a reference group of elderly individuals, but better than that of a reference group of patients with stroke. The quality of life did not importantly differ between the compared studies of CPR survivors.
      https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...article/414609

Comment

Whats shocking to me is that they havent had these for past 20-30 years. Seems like such a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          Whats shocking to me is that they havent had these for past 20-30 years. Seems like such a no brainer.
          I'm not sure whats "new" about the one in the article here (prob the "connectivity", or somesuch), but they have certainly had automated chest compression machines for many years. Not that I'm any sort of expert, but I've seen them used in ambulances in some of the medical documentaries. Brutal looking machines, too.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

I'm not sure whats "new" about the one in the article here (prob the "connectivity", or somesuch), but they have certainly had automated chest compression machines for many years. Not that I'm any sort of expert, but I've seen them used in ambulances in some of the medical documentaries. Brutal looking machines, too.
            Probably now operated by bluetooth with a known vulnerability such that a hacker could tamper with the settings and cause it to do compressions more akin to one of those tamping down machines they use when laying tarmac

Comment

Working...
            X