• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are badly paid jobs funner?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

When they said “it’s a happy place” for the fifth time, how did you stop yourself from punching them in the face?
    What do you mean by "a happy place"? The hospice? Or death?

My wife didn't go into a hospice to die, I cared for her at home and she died here with me next to her as was her wish.

And why would I want to punch people who are helping? Seems if you feel like that then you really had a bad experience because from my experience all the care staff I came across were amazing people.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The more money I make the easier my job is. When you're making 150k a year you usually don't get asked to produce something in an hour. They usually give you a couple weeks or couple months. Things are not so time pressured. When I was younger and working for less money like 50k I was constantly under pressure to produce an answer or a deliverable in a very short period of time. Everything was urgent all the time. Working through support issues when business critical systems are down for a client is much more stressful than spending 3 months coming up with a strategy for a department.

Comment

one other example of low paying jobs that are stressful is working for a consultancy.

client will be paying through the nose for you so expectations are quite high. consultants usually make good scapegoats for client's problems.
        the consultancy would want to make their money worth as well so they'll try to pimp you out to a second customer or do internal work in addition to the main project.
        you won't receive any support from client or training because it is not part of the deal. seldom you might from the consultancy but it costs money so probably no.

when the work dries up it is more likely to be shown the door as you'd be costing them money. you do not have a choice what clients you work for - most likely you'd be pimped up to the highest paying body.

clients/ hiring managers tend to outsource work / seats that is difficult to manage, has potential for high turnover and they don't want that under their books. or historically / politically that work has generated issues. so the likelihood of being stuck with less satisfying/stressful work is high.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Permi is for loosers.[/B]
          Or perhaps you're not good enough to hold down a permanent job and keep getting found out after 3-6 months?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Or perhaps you're not good enough to hold down a permanent job and keep getting found out after 3-6 months?
            I haven't had the chance to be in a permanent position so far. It has been only consultancy roles and contracts.

Most of the times the people that are successful and stay with a company for long are not that good. Apart from the brown nosing and driving the company politics. Apart from that they are at most mediocre.

I would be happy to hear about a place that proves me wrong and is delivery oriented and doing quality work and the permi team is not full of back stabbing c****. Focussed on getting the bonus and greasing the pole behind them.

Overall I think I would be more comfortable living with the idea that I am not good enough and looking to better myself than to acknowledge the full dimensions of company politics. I even looked for books in that field to make myself more comfortable with the snake pits I've been fortunate to consult in. Two of them are part of S&P 500 and I've been interacting with mid to higher management most of the times although doing lower level work.

From discussions with other people I don't think I've heard different either.

Hope this helps

later edit: are you by any chance part of a consultancy?
            Last edited by GigiBronz; 17 May 2021, 15:02.

Comment

one other example of low paying jobs that are stressful is working for a consultancy.

client will be paying through the nose for you so expectations are quite high. consultants usually make good scapegoats for client's problems.
              the consultancy would want to make their money worth as well so they'll try to pimp you out to a second customer or do internal work in addition to the main project.
              you won't receive any support from client or training because it is not part of the deal. seldom you might from the consultancy but it costs money so probably no.

when the work dries up it is more likely to be shown the door as you'd be costing them money. you do not have a choice what clients you work for - most likely you'd be pimped up to the highest paying body.
              I once got a mate into a consultancy i was a perm at, this guy was really good technically, but really bad an interviews and desperate for work.
              After my boss had interviewed him, he (the boss) came out and said, 'he is definitely junior' due to his bad interview performance.
              And offered him 50% less than i what i was getting, he got around 24K. This was back in 1999.

However when he started he got dumped with the most stressful and behind schedule project the company had and with a few months he was the Lead developer on it, as he was technically very good, and he was working non stop every day.

Comment

I haven't had the chance to be in a permanent position so far. It has been only consultancy roles and contracts.

Most of the times the people that are successful and stay with a company for long are not that good. Apart from the brown nosing and driving the company politics. Apart from that they are at most mediocre.

I would be happy to hear about a place that proves me wrong and is delivery oriented and doing quality work and the permi team is not full of back stabbing c****. Focussed on getting the bonus and greasing the pole behind them.

Overall I think I would be more comfortable living with the idea that I am not good enough and looking to better myself than to acknowledge the full dimensions of company politics. I even looked for books in that field to make myself more comfortable with the snake pits I've been fortunate to consult in. Two of them are part of S&P 500 and I've been interacting with mid to higher management most of the times although doing lower level work.

From discussions with other people I don't think I've heard different either.

Hope this helps

later edit: are you by any chance part of a consultancy?
                Ever think that all those 'bad' companies you work in are maybe not bad, but it's you that's got a bad attitude? It seems in every post you enter here it's someone else's fault that you don't have a job; it never seems to be anything you're doing wrong does it? We have tried to help you and offer some constructive advice, but it appears that you know best (whilst sitting on the bench).
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  The more money I make the easier my job is. When you're making 150k a year you usually don't get asked to produce something in an hour. They usually give you a couple weeks or couple months. Things are not so time pressured. When I was younger and working for less money like 50k I was constantly under pressure to produce an answer or a deliverable in a very short period of time. Everything was urgent all the time. Working through support issues when business critical systems are down for a client is much more stressful than spending 3 months coming up with a strategy for a department.
                  Yep the more senior you are the less likely you are to deliver in many places.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Ever think that all those 'bad' companies you work in are maybe not bad, but it's you that's got a bad attitude? It seems in every post you enter here it's someone else's fault that you don't have a job; it never seems to be anything you're doing wrong does it? We have tried to help you and offer some constructive advice, but it appears that you know best (whilst sitting on the bench).
                    I have a different attitude when I talk to them. But maybe it helps some people acknowledge that things are not as good as recruiters make it. It's maybe just my frustration and cynical way of seeing life but I am sure there is some truth to it that will help others.
                    And you should price differently a consultancy role or start-up role. If more people will stand for it the better we'd have a change for fairer terms.

Instead of getting 55k for a consultancy, in London and 2 two projects at a time and 12h a day, thank you very much but I'd rather just not work. and btw the 55k 'permi' roles that you get now are previous contract roles at 500-600pd that the clients do no want to bother with, so when the market is down the consultancies try to make advantage of that and bank on them. there is no security associated with them, you would be treated as a temporary resource.

working hard pays off:
                    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeG6kx5F/
                    Last edited by GigiBronz; 17 May 2021, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Enough to bump it up to the same take home as £130,000 per year.

Why does nobody ever read the original post?
                      Ok mr/mrs hugebrain.

Please detail how you can get from £70K to 130K on benefits?

Lets have some numbers please. As you keep posting on this forum about 6 figures for benefits.

I think you are trolling or talking b#####ks personally prove me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X