• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I wonder if they thought about this before turning on the money hose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    there is an option, you know, to actually increase the wages.

even £15ph if you frequently get hours cut, have loans, expensive accommodation you are very likely at the poverty line. In the US you can flip burgers and still get $15ph, why is that not the case here?
    $15 is £10.78 in the UK. Luckily because there is a shortage of staff the wages are slowly going up. Who knew Keynes knew what he was talking about? Maybe if we build some more houses people would be able to afford them?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      A nation of baristas and burger flippers.
      and house flippers
      Properties are selling like hot cakes

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Those people were resident and available for work. They then moved back to whatever country they were born in rather than spend months in a crummy bedsit on their own.

During lockdown, what services were open that were understaffed?
        You know we will have to pay for the Covid grant money flood? I don't want taxpayers money that could fight crime, provide healthcare or buy Boris nice wallpaper exported to Eastern Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You know we will have to pay for the Covid grant money flood? I don't want taxpayers money that could fight crime, provide healthcare or buy Boris nice wallpaper exported to Eastern Europe.
          So, what you're saying is that all these foreign workers who were legally here, working, paying their taxes, etc should have been deemed to have no recourse to public funds just in case they decided to go back to their country of origin during a pandemic and not come back.

Comment

So, what you're saying is that all these foreign workers who were legally here, working, paying their taxes, etc should have been deemed to have no recourse to public funds just in case they decided to go back to their country of origin during a pandemic and not come back.
            No I am saying if people leave the UK in effect permanently they should not receive benefits just as if I move to Spain or the USA I rightly wouldn't be able to claim universal credit or child benefit.

Comment

No I am saying if people leave the UK in effect permanently they should not receive benefits just as if I move to Spain or the USA I rightly wouldn't be able to claim universal credit or child benefit.
              Ah right so you've moved on from being outraged about people getting furloughed, leaving the country and not coming back, to anyone leaving the country and claiming any benefits from the UK.

Comment

Ah right so you've moved on from being outraged about people getting furloughed, leaving the country and not coming back, to anyone leaving the country and claiming any benefits from the UK.
                Not outraged just sad we think we have so much money to waste yet we cant fix crime, NHS & housing etc. Aren't you?

Comment

Lots of people are, or are soon going to be looking for jobs. You might see a lot of experienced career types glad for a job waiting tables.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not outraged just sad we think we have so much money to waste yet we cant fix crime, NHS & housing etc. Aren't you?
                    NHS isn't fixable by money (if it's fixable (if it needs fixing)). Not sure we need to 'fix' housing.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Lots of people are, or are soon going to be looking for jobs. You might see a lot of experienced career types glad for a job waiting tables.
                      you might. But looking at the figures its more likely to be the young.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-in-six-charts

We are at 5.1% currently with 4 million furloughed if hospitality doesn't recover it will make the miners ruined by Scargill look like full employment.

Comment

Working...
                      X