• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horizon IT Scandal: Postmasters await justice today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Wasn't there a way to manually check if all money is accounted for? also, what happened to innocent until proven guilty? (badly tested) software showing numbers isn't exactly solid proof especially as the number of people accused was so large.
    I wonder what it was they were shredding/wiping? It wouldn’t be test results/Incident tickets, would it?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

I'm not sure if Post Office given it's legal status has additional rights or if they were just using the bog standard rights you and I have.

There is a safeguard in that the CPS can take over a private prosecution, instruct the Police to gather evidence with the view to prosecute themselves or discontinue it entirely. Theoretically there is a safeguard on that via judicial review.
      Yes, the PO has additional rights. Remember that they are older than modern Parliament and the Police. The first Postal Act of Parliament was in 1658 https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/royal-mail-history/

So they have all sorts of powers that haven’t been rolled back despite them now being a private company. Labour should take a long hard look at the PO after this.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Yes, the PO has additional rights. Remember that they are older than modern Parliament and the Police. The first Postal Act of Parliament was in 1658 https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/royal-mail-history/

So they have all sorts of powers that haven’t been rolled back despite them now being a private company. Labour should take a long hard look at the PO after this.
        Thought that might be the case. Lot of people don't appreciate how the legal system evolved in countries like ours, especially when you compare to the civil law jurisdictions, lot of archaic laws floating about. Mail being the only form of communication back in the day it was fundamental to the State and came with hefty powers and protections.

Post Office was spun off from Royal Mail at privatisation, it solely owned by Government. I imagine that means we are liable for all the compensation rather than Royal Mail shareholders.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Look it's not longer the case.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords/...secutionPowers

Lord Arbuthnot of Edrom:To ask Her Majesty’s Government what recent assessment they have made of the Post Office’s powers to conduct prosecutions.
          The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and Northern Ireland Office (Lord Duncan of Springbank): My Lords, the Post Office’s powers to bring a private prosecution, which fall under Section 6(1) of the Prosecution of Offences Act 1985, are not specific to that company. It has the same right as any other person, whether an individual or a company, to bring a private prosecution.
          Personally I think we should keep private prosecutions. They are a point of access to the justice system for ordinary citizens, even if rarely used. The failings here are obviously on PO, but also on the courts. Although as the link shows, bringing quasi-government entities under Attorney General makes absolute sense.

Also, the compensation in this country for official oppression is absurd. Unlawfully arrested and put in a cell for 12 hours and you'll be lucky to see £2.5k, years after the fact. Can hate on the Yanks, but constitutional violations would easily run 5 figures.
          Last edited by JustKeepSwimming; 8 January 2024, 22:46.

Comment

Can hate on the Yanks, but constitutional violations would easily run 5 figures.
            Aye, it really makes up for all that tulip when you're black & dead.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Aye, it really makes up for all that tulip when you're black & dead.
              Not sure what your point is? A system can have positives and negatives, and I don't think the two points are connected.

I do think that £2.5k for unlawfully detaining someone for 12 hours is disgusting and not remotely a deterrent.

Comment

Not sure what your point is? A system can have positives and negatives, and I don't think the two points are connected.

I do think that £2.5k for unlawfully detaining someone for 12 hours is disgusting and not remotely a deterrent.
                Mmm... If you are shot dead by the police giving you loads of compensation doesn't really help.

Same way people like Andrew Malkinson can never get their lost years back however much money they are given. Oh and the fact you have to pay for your prison board out of your compensation...
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Mmm... If you are shot dead by the police giving you loads of compensation doesn't really help.

Same way people like Andrew Malkinson can never get their lost years back however much money they are given. Oh and the fact you have to pay for your prison board out of your compensation...
                  Again, such warped thinking. You think if the UK paid reasonable compensation the cost would be an increase in police related violence?

Comment

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

God forbid if we ever reach US income levels, the school shootings and obesity would be horrific!

Comment

Working...
                      X