• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Football Super League

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Can they stop it? I wouldn't think under current legislation that they can, but they could write some new draconian laws ... now wouldn't that be nice?
    There are already ownership laws for works of art, it's pretty much the same argument.

It's just that this is what poor people like so they can get stuffed as long as we keep a Canova or two.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

There are already ownership laws for works of art, it's pretty much the same argument.

It's just that this is what poor people like so they can get stuffed as long as we keep a Canova or two.
      So you're equating a football team, which is a privately run international business, with a work of art? Interesting.

You'll be advocating next that football clubs can only be owned by Brits, and can only include UK born players
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

So you're equating a football team, which is a privately run international business, with a work of art? Interesting.

You'll be advocating next that football clubs can only be owned by Brits, and can only include UK born players
        They are both assets and the government can put ownership restrictions on both. Parliament is sovereign remember.

Comment

Can they stop it? I wouldn't think under current legislation that they can, but they could write some new draconian laws ... now wouldn't that be nice?

But the real question is, should they stop it? What right does the government have to create a law to stop businesses operating legally within their sector? It would be the short end of the wedge if any government tried to stop this.
          What do you feel about the EU's heavier use of regulation, do you classify that as "draconian", what about the German league's 51% supporter ownership? I'm asking this to get a feel for where you sit in other sectors, I have some libertarian sensibilities myself, so I roughly agree with the principle you're claiming, but I'm not sure it's in good faith.

UEFA and EPL only want to stop it as they will lose revenue, so it's their own greed that is triggering them.
          I do agree with this, UEFA and FIFA have profiteered etc. and FIFA is famously corrupt (UEFA is no angel either).

Don't watch football personally but this is all very interesting. It's pretty clear that most football clubs are not viable. If we had another business sector where the majority only exist because a tiny minority at the top effectively subsidized them we'd not be questioning a move like this, we'd say it's survival of the fittest. So what makes football so special?

Why shouldn't small clubs go under, or at the very least operate within their means? Why do we need 90 (not sure on exact number and can't be @rsed to check) professional football teams in England (plus the 2 in Scotland )?
          I don't think a club is directly comparable to typical businesses for a multitude of reasons. I think the key issue here is that the clubs conspiring to create the new league are forming a natural monopoly - they cannot be relegated, they also control the ability to participate if they open it up to more clubs in the future. The natural monopoly destroys the footballing economic ecosystem pan-Europe (except PT, DE and FR) - how do you feel about the "right to participate" (current league systems with promotion / relegation)? Is the removal of this OK because UEFA/FIFA are corrupt?

Also, the point about FIFA punishing players directly is ridiculous, as said the players didn't conspire to do this and are under their clubs' contractual obligations.

Comment

I particularly liked cost controls as part pd the rules - 55% of all costs max, so footballer salaries would drop and they won’t be able to move to any other big club other than in America or China

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

What do you feel about the EU's heavier use of regulation, do you classify that as "draconian", what about the German league's 51% supporter ownership? I'm asking this to get a feel for where you sit in other sectors, I have some libertarian sensibilities myself, so I roughly agree with the principle you're claiming, but I'm not sure it's in good faith.
              Firstly, I don't live in the EU or Germany so I don't care what they do. I do however care if our government start to impose random new laws just to win votes of football fans.

As for the 51% ownership rule, I have no issue with that, but I can't see Brits shelling out cash to own a football club when they can pretend they own it for nothing. If we had the same rule over here (which reading your comment seems to be a rule of the German FL rather than the government) then it would make all this very interesting. At the moment the claim is all fans are against this new league, but I'd like to see that put to a vote - my guess is Arsenal and Spurs fans might be in support of this as they're guaranteed european football each week.

Football, the 'business' of football, needs a shake up. Too many clubs, not enough money. Other sports have evolved, maybe it's time football followed suit.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

They should change the rules too to enable more TV ads during breaks

Comment

I do however care if our government start to impose random new laws just to win votes of football fans.
                  If they started to impose random new laws to win the votes of idiots would you be interested?

Comment

Taxpayers should bail top clubs to prevent them from creating their own league

Comment

Firstly, I don't live in the EU or Germany so I don't care what they do. I do however care if our government start to impose random new laws just to win votes of football fans.

As for the 51% ownership rule, I have no issue with that, but I can't see Brits shelling out cash to own a football club when they can pretend they own it for nothing. If we had the same rule over here (which reading your comment seems to be a rule of the German FL rather than the government) then it would make all this very interesting. At the moment the claim is all fans are against this new league, but I'd like to see that put to a vote - my guess is Arsenal and Spurs fans might be in support of this as they're guaranteed european football each week.

Football, the 'business' of football, needs a shake up. Too many clubs, not enough money. Other sports have evolved, maybe it's time football followed suit.
                      How do you propose the shake up? The rich landowners are about to take their bags of gold to form a monopoly, if there wasn't enough money before, there sure won't be now.

I think you've read the room wrong if you think even Arsenal/Spurs fans think this is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X