• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are cheap wines really made from grapes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You can pick up a decent wine in Germany for £3, all local. I've never drunk a good wine in the UK.
    If you weren't such a tightwad you'd find some excellent wines in the UK, but if that's your budget, you'd best stick to Blue Nun.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

If you weren't such a tightwad you'd find some excellent wines in the UK, but if that's your budget, you'd best stick to Blue Nun.
      Blue Nun was invented by the Germans to sell cheap crap to the undiscriminating worldwide market. They keep their good stuff for themselves. And for €3 - €4 you can easily buy wine that in the UK will cost £6-£10. Mainly the expense in the UK is the duty.

Most EU countries have very low rates of duty on wine. It's those Northern ones (and the UK) who slap it on.

I find expensive wines are usually not worth the effort. A £20 bottle will taste (usually) better than a £10 bottle - but only in comparison. The £10 bottle will be very palatable. And you can get two!
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I look at the price (a bit) and the ABV figure. A nine quid bottle at 14% (or 13.5% at a pinch) does me fine. Anything much more than that is sheer wine snobbery, and I can't taste the difference anyway.

My big worry is added sugar, because I really don't want to think I am drinking alcoholic equivalent of coca cola!

I _hope_ it is illegal in the UK to sell wine with added sugar (unless clearly marked), but I suspect not.

I also draw the line at Cockburn's port, which seems to have a horrible synthetic taste - Must be Taylors or nothing!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I take my wine seriously but it's just a matter of taste and what you like. There are bottles I'll pay £14 for which I think are stellar and others which I've paid £40 for that are meh. Whatever you like - go for it. Everyone's taste is different.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            So... considering a £8 bottle of wine, 20% is corporation tax
            Nope.

THere is a minimum cost to produce a bottle of wine though. Duty, the cost of a bottle is 50p-£1 based on looking at bulk pricing in the past.
            As you get down to the £5 mark, it is amazing anyone bothers to make it.
            Last edited by d000hg; 9 April 2021, 09:26.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I take my wine seriously but it's just a matter of taste and what you like. There are bottles I'll pay £14 for which I think are stellar and others which I've paid £40 for that are meh. Whatever you like - go for it. Everyone's taste is different.
              This - I've tried St Emilion several times at various price levels and never liked it.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

As you get down to the £5 mark, it is amazing anyone bothers to make it.
                Some people will drink any old gut rot to save a few pennies, one of my neighbours for example.

When she asks me to buy her a bottle of wine in the village shop, she specifically asks me to get the £5 bottle

My lower limit is around £8, although I'll use cheaper ones in casseroles.

But yes, the profit margin on a £5 bottle of plonk must be pretty slim.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

My fave red is Primitivo from Puglia,
                  Try the Sainsburys TTTD one. Currently on Special at £6

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

This - I've tried St Emilion several times at various price levels and never liked it.
                    A man who doesn't like St Emilion Grand Cru, doesn't have a taste for life!
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

My lower limit is around £8, although I'll use cheaper ones in casseroles.

But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X