• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance

Hello All,

First time poster just looking for some advice.
    I live in northern Ireland but work in Southern Ireland (I live on the border so it is just 30 mins to get to work)
    I have worked there for the past 3 years (at home since March 2020)
    The other day I saw a remote role advertised for a job based in London. One of the HR team rings me today and wants me to clarify where I live and work.
    He told me he wouldn't be able to employ me as my SC clearance wouldn't get granted and their work deals with UK government departments. He also said I would need to wait for five years after leaving the Irish job before I would be considered for SC clearance.
    He basically said if you work or even went on holiday for 3 months outside the UK then you aren't SC cleared. This was all news to me.

Is there any way around this? Or is that me stuck with it for 5 years once I leave my current role?
    Thanks!

That holiday 'advice' sounds ludicrous!

No-one in Government know what to do with Northern Ireland, but that answer is just bonkers...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

that's BS. You can holiday, and work abroad without issue.
      If you live abroad it gets more complex, but unless you lived in a high risk country (Iran, Iraq, N. Korea, etc.) it should be fine.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks guys.
        They might have other reasons then but wont say and are using that as an excuse

Comment

It's irrelevant. If you don't hold existing SC then it's highly unlikely you'll get a look in anyway.

IMO they are just giving you daft excuses so as not to be seen to be picking existing SC people which the Cabinet Office says they can't. No point picking apart what they said. What they mean is you don't have SC we don't want you.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X