• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom: Idiots with big polluting SUV's in Bham

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom: Idiots with big polluting SUV's in Bham

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2...r_birmingham/3

Clean Air Zone timing and charges

On 1 June 2021 Birmingham will launch a Clean Air Zone.
    It will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
    The charge of £35 will be applied daily. A non-compliant vehicle driving in the Zone will pay once for the day, then may drive in the area without limit on that day.

I hope the money raised can be used to put up some more Greta statues.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Sounds like a fine plan. I'd pay £35 to park my hummer outside a nursery on tick over all day. Get 'em young then they won't know what life with healthy lungs would have been like.

Comment

Terrible innit...

Good thing my 5.5 liter ML 63 is an ULEV, so not subject to this tax...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Terrible innit...

Good thing my 5.5 liter ML 63 is an ULEV, so not subject to this tax...

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I effectively took it off the road since my miles were lower than average before Covid, saving Mother Earth in the process...

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2...r_birmingham/3

I hope the money raised can be used to put up some more Greta statues.
            Just checked my VW T5 ... it's free in Bath, but £8 in Brum. I'd have to pay in the central London zone, but not the outer London zone.

Such a lack of consistency ... although I'm sure if they went 'standard', the base would be we all pay the top rate

saying that though, the Bath zone includes the main route through Bath that is hard to avoid. Whereas the Brum zone, well, it's a frickin nightmare anyway so who would want to drive in would need their head looking.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Just checked my VW T5 ... it's free in Bath, but £8 in Brum.
              Baby killing diesel, eh?

Comment

An extra tax on people who live in the area. I am also guessing JLR must have p***ed of city councilor or two!

You see the West Midlands is awash with Land Rover products (guzzling SUV) because not only are they made there but it is so easy to get on the staff and friends and family schemes in various ways for people who live quite close to any of the facilities (5-10 miles radius).

According to a friend even I can get access to some unbelievable deals

I am in the south of the West Midlands. Very close to the Gaydon plant. Test drivers for Aston and JLR use my street as part of their test route!

Ask me about the F-Type wearing Citroen badges and the mk2 cavalier lookalike on the Discovery chassis another time!

On my street alone there are so many very nearly new Land Rovers or range rovers with the odd Jag for good measure. My car stands out like an ethnic minority! The new defenders are very popular with the neighbours!

So someone on the council had a bright idea, lets damage the sales figures of one of the regions largest employers and annoy and tax their employees in the process as its not like JLR cannot move its entire production India, china and Slovakia! We are intelligent council people honest!
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

My 2017 Disco is exempt in Bath and Birmingham - 3 Litre Diesel non "AdBlue" so most fairly recent JLR products should be exempt in Brum too.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Baby killing diesel, eh?
                    I have no kids. So why should I care about the kids of others who have chosen to add more humans to a planet that is already overpopulated?
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X