• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Doom: Idiots with big polluting SUV's in Bham"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

It was the best I had
    We'll give you a like for it some time between 10am and 9pm

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Almost amusing
    It was the best I had

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

One off driving I get, and I'm sure in your DPD job it's a requirement, but most drivers into Brum that I'd see were commuters who could have caught public transport.
    Almost amusing

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

FTFY
    And then spend an hour crawling along the Aston Distressway ...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    most drivers into Brum that I'd see were poor sods who took the wrong turn on M6 Spaghetti Junction.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post

I had to deliver a server to an office in central B'ham once (c.20 yrs ago). I would have been out of my mind to choose any option other than driving (from central-ish London). Even paying two lots of congestion charge it's still a no-brainer.
    One off driving I get, and I'm sure in your DPD job it's a requirement, but most drivers into Brum that I'd see were commuters who could have caught public transport.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

I still go back to the question ... who in their right mind would want to drive into the Brum congestion zone? It's a nightmare for traffic and so easy to avoid (unlike the Bath one).
    I had to deliver a server to an office in central B'ham once (c.20 yrs ago). I would have been out of my mind to choose any option other than driving (from central-ish London). Even paying two lots of congestion charge it's still a no-brainer.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Or cycle.
    Cycle on roads with so many idiot drivers in oversized and overpowered SUVs?

No thanks, I'd rather stick to my overpowered SUV

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

It is, but only if you can catch train easily.

Could be quick way to get Covid also
    Or cycle.

Colleague of mine lived near me and she drove in. I started to cycle some days a week - on way home we'd 'race' - she never won. I always caught her by the time she got to Wake Green Road, and she'd crawl along from there whilst I'd be on the pavement knocking down grannies and jumping red lights*.

* I never jump lights, and I only ran over a couple of grannies.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Train to Snow Hill, walked from there to 5-ways (unless raining then caught the bus). Still faster than driving.
    It is, but only if you can catch train easily.

Could be quick way to get Covid also

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

By nice direct train?

Before Covid also.
    Train to Snow Hill, walked from there to 5-ways (unless raining then caught the bus). Still faster than driving.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

I'll move on as soon as the greys finish off last pockets of local red resistance.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I commuted from Solihull to 5 Ways for over 3 years and didn't need to drive.
    By nice direct train?

Before Covid also.
    Last edited by AtW; 1 April 2021, 12:50.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

People who work in the city centre? Our office just inside ze Zone - 200 quid after tax monthly travel cost potentially - to work and spend money there, yet another reason to WFH

Shoppers going to Bull Ring?

Buses, taxies, trucks doing their work?

Few years ago I took a full page ad in local newspaper against this Mor Onic idea - it got some feathers ruffled apparently but obviously no result
    Public transport in Brum is good, no need to drive in. I commuted from Solihull to 5 Ways for over 3 years and didn't need to drive. Same for shoppers, absolutely no need to drive.

Buses should be clean fuel by now. Taxis and lorries are big polluters so need to get clean.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    What with this, the Tory scum government and Brexit, I'm amazed you still want to run a business here.
    I'll move on as soon as the greys finish off last pockets of local red resistance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X