• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Jab, No Job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Jab, No Job

Finally.

NHS staff have to have certain vaccines e.g. Hep B otherwise they can't have a job so it makes sense that they have to have this one.

Though it should only come in force in September as by then everyone of the adult population should have had their first Covid jab.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...could-23596454

Officials are said to be looking at whether staff who decline a jab could be compelled by law, but the debate has already thrown up both legal and moral issues - with it also unclear what would happen to continued refusers

Ministers are discussing plans to force NHS workers to have coronavirus vaccines, according to reports.

MPs are said to be looking at whether healthcare staff who decline a jab could be compelled by law, according to the Daily Mail.

But the debate has already thrown up both legal and moral issues, with it also unclear what would happen to continued refusers.

The review by officials is also thought to be considering enforcing a rule on care home workers, the newspaper said.

More than 20million people in Britain have had the first dose of a vaccine, the Government announced on Sunday.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he was "absolutely delighted" and urged people to keep coming forward for jabs.

But, according to the Daily Mail, 200,000 NHS and care employees have refused the offer of a vaccine so far.

A source told the newspaper: "It is extraordinary that so many people in the health sector appear to have turned down the vaccine."

Care UK, one of Britain's largest care home operators, announced recently that it would be operating a no jab, no job policy for new starters.

The company said: "Everyone applying for a role which requires them to go into a home will be expected to have been vaccinated before they start work."

MP Michael Gove is leading a review into the potential for vaccine passports, which is expected to be published before the final stage of lockdown is lifted on June 21.

Ministers are said to believe that forcing NHS workers and care home staff to have a vaccine could help restrictions to be lifted and cut the death toll.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Indeed i think there are valid grounds for this. I always said I would have the vaccine right from the start (when most people were of the opposite opinion). I'm due to have the first injection by the end of April (40-49 age group), just in time for me to have fully recovered from covid which I caught 3 weeks ago (it really is a horrible evil disease so much worse than the Flu...)

Comment

They are talking about it on LBC and the usual idiots phoning up saying its not fair.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        They are talking about it on LBC and the usual idiots phoning up saying its not fair.
        I just want foreign countries preventing people from travelling to them if they don't have proof of a Covid jab as that will sort the idiots out.

Comment

Originally posted by Inception View Post
          Indeed i think there are valid grounds for this. I always said I would have the vaccine right from the start (when most people were of the opposite opinion). I'm due to have the first injection by the end of April (40-49 age group), just in time for me to have fully recovered from covid which I caught 3 weeks ago (it really is a horrible evil disease so much worse than the Flu...)
          I'd be interested to hear what your symptoms were.

I have very mild respiratory symptoms for 3 days then extreme fatigue with headache behind the eyes for a further week and loss of sense of smell and taste. Back to 100% after a fortnight.

On balance, I'd rather go through that than either of the 2 bouts of flu that I've had over the last 10 years. Tore my lungs apart on both occasions. Nasty.

Comment

There is precedence for vaccinations being required against certain diseases for both travel and work. I guess the issue is whether covid is of the same level of concern to warrant the same demands (not saying one way or the other as I don't know and I've not read anything that definitively says either).

Comment

120k people dead in 12 months and still no cure, so yes in cases of Nhs specifically - get vaccinated or get another job.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                120k people dead in 12 months and still no cure, so yes in cases of Nhs specifically - get vaccinated or get another job.
                What about staff in Care Homes, Hospices and Prisons? These are all places where lots of people live together in one space so viruses can spread very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  What about staff in Care Homes, Hospices and Prisons? These are all places where lots of people live together in one space so viruses can spread very easily.
                  Same thing, pib staff too - anywhere where close in-doors human contact above X people per month - need to prevent chains of transmission

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    There is precedence for vaccinations being required against certain diseases for both travel and work. I guess the issue is whether covid is of the same level of concern to warrant the same demands (not saying one way or the other as I don't know and I've not read anything that definitively says either).
                    An employer has a duty of care to you. If you don't have the jab they would have to move you to do other work to prevent you getting infected. If there is no other work they can move you to then they will have to dismiss you.

Comment

Working...
                    X