• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: No Jab, No Job

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No Jab, No Job"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
    We must all do our bit to protect the vulnerable after all. Especially the elderly.

Oh wait a minute, looks like even the elderly are selfish.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/04/40-of...cine-14185234/

I knew this would happen. Once people get the first jab, it's back to normal. Stuff the fact half the economy is knackered as a result of protecting them.

Hearing the vaccine and hospitalisation statistics in the different age groups it appears that some of them think they are immune from Covid-19 as soon as they have had their first jab rather than waiting 3 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    We must all do our bit to protect the vulnerable after all. Especially the elderly.

Oh wait a minute, looks like even the elderly are selfish.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/04/40-of...cine-14185234/

I knew this would happen. Once people get the first jab, it's back to normal. Stuff the fact half the economy is knackered as a result of protecting them.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    There hasn't yet been sufficient time to do human challenge trials.
    They could have done them early last year when they knew there was an issue. As I say, no money in that.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Are NHS staff required to have Measles jab, because that seems more comparable as a transmissible disease for which the population are routinely vaccinated?
    I've heard a few doctors and dentists come on radio stating they have to have Hep B and show immunity to common viruses like measles which is normally vaccination.

Nursing students aren't allowed on their degree course without a measles vaccination.

Funny thing is all the people who are complaining about it being unfair to have the vaccination on radio are nurses...

There as the doctors say they want "encourage" people to have vaccination and will happily talk to them about their fears.

Edited to say: I know people in rl I can discuss vaccine hesitancy with who are medical professionals but they will just think I'm a nutter due to the tulip they've had to suffer.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Are NHS staff required to have Measles jab, because that seems more comparable as a transmissible disease for which the population are routinely vaccinated?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    It's fair if they sign a waiver that there are no comebacks. Construction workers aren't allowed on site without safety equipment - this is an NHS equivalent.
    Go on a building site without a hard hat, brick falls on you from above, tough.
    On a construction site if you get injured for not wearing safety equipment only you will get injured and may die.

In the NHS, Care Home, Prison etc you can injury or kill someone else. You can't sign a waiver to cover that as the employer/company has a duty of care to other staff, workers and users of the service.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post

Cods wallop. Human challenge trials of the real virus have only just started. Patently there was no money in the trial for those creating the vaccines which is why it has been left to the real scientist to investigate.
    The vaccines for this virus were developed in a few months and then trialled. They are even being trialled now on all of us e.g. 12 week gap between doses. There hasn't yet been sufficient time to do human challenge trials.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 3 March 2021, 14:18.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    It's fair if they sign a waiver that there are no comebacks. Construction workers aren't allowed on site without safety equipment - this is an NHS equivalent.
    Err, they just won’t allow you without one

Leave a comment:

• Inception
    replied
    Originally posted by Great Parks View Post

I'd be interested to hear what your symptoms were.

I have very mild respiratory symptoms for 3 days then extreme fatigue with headache behind the eyes for a further week and loss of sense of smell and taste. Back to 100% after a fortnight.

On balance, I'd rather go through that than either of the 2 bouts of flu that I've had over the last 10 years. Tore my lungs apart on both occasions. Nasty.
    Symptoms do vary a lot but for me it was in bed solid for 2 weeks, no appetite (loss of taste/smell, lost 2/3 of a stone in weight), no sleep, extreme muscle pains in legs (funnily enought nothing much top half wise ), headache behind right eye that lasted for a week and would not respond to pain killers. Tightness of chest/breathing. Mostly ok now but tiredness/weakness persists as does some minor breathing/chest issues (I can pop out for a short walk but running and weights are out even though i used to do both 3/4 times a week as well as boxing before I caught Covid). Flu used to knock me out for 3/4 days once a year but there were no post effects unlike Covid. Hope you're feeling back to normal (I'm going to attempt a light run this weekend lungs permitting!)

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Human challenge isn’t necessary to establish if vaccine cuts transmissions also - it’s not like this is the first ever vaccine that does it

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    there are varying degrees of anti-bodies from Covid depending on factors we don't know for sure, but with a jab it's all scientifically calcualted to get enough anti-bodies to provide specified degree of protection (that was actually tested in real world).
    Cods wallop. Human challenge trials of the real virus have only just started. Patently there was no money in the trial for those creating the vaccines which is why it has been left to the real scientist to investigate.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    If recall correctly I was vilified for pointing ut that if you have had the virus you are immune and jabbing someone who is immune is a. Pointless b. Causes worse effects than on a non-immune patient.
    False claim - there are varying degrees of anti-bodies from Covid depending on factors we don't know for sure, but with a jab it's all scientifically calcualted to get enough anti-bodies to provide specified degree of protection (that was actually tested in real world).

Also with new variants prior infection of Covid no longer guarantees tulip.

Either way, going forward anybody without a GREEN passport will be confined to their dwelling most of the time - otherwise it would be treated as bioterrorism

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    If recall correctly I was vilified for pointing ut that if you have had the virus you are immune and jabbing someone who is immune is a. Pointless b. Causes worse effects than on a non-immune patient.

It was pointed out to me that those in the NHS were at risk of repeated doses of the virus from infected patients and that was why they required top notch protection. Does this jab help those at risk of repeated infection? If not then then I suggest natural immunity is sufficient.

What a pity the only test available to NHS patients is whether you have it or not, for the statistics, not whether you are immune.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Has it been proven that the vaccine prevents transmission as well as illness? I thought that one still needed more data.
    Vaccine prevents for certain, it was unclear by how much but so far it seems 2/3 is a reasonable number, which is a lot since this can cut R to below 1 nicely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X