• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lord Hague tells Tories to prepare for tax rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lord Hague tells Tories to prepare for tax rises

“Some business and personal taxes “have to go up”, Lord Hague, the former Conservative leader and close ally of Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor, has warned.

In a new article for The Telegraph, Lord Hague writes that people who oppose some form of tax rises in the current climate are buying into “dangerous illusions”.

The intervention the day before Mr Sunak stands up to deliver his Budget will raise eyebrows, given the fierce debate about tax rises in the party and the pair’s close relationship.

Mr Sunak took over Lord Hague’s seat of Richmond, Yorks, when the latter stepped down as a Tory MP in 2015. Both men will appear at the Budget event together on Friday.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...are-tax-rises/

Noice, but where the fook is the B..... dividend, why no talk of 350 mln saves per week????

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    “Some business and personal taxes “have to go up”, Lord Hague, the former Conservative leader and close ally of Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor, has warned.

In a new article for The Telegraph, Lord Hague writes that people who oppose some form of tax rises in the current climate are buying into “dangerous illusions”.

The intervention the day before Mr Sunak stands up to deliver his Budget will raise eyebrows, given the fierce debate about tax rises in the party and the pair’s close relationship.

Mr Sunak took over Lord Hague’s seat of Richmond, Yorks, when the latter stepped down as a Tory MP in 2015. Both men will appear at the Budget event together on Friday.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...are-tax-rises/

Noice, but where the fook is the B..... dividend, why no talk of 350 mln saves per week????
    Given about 100,000 pensioners have died of covid, with the 'savings' of their state pension plus other costs, the Tories have a 'nice' windfall bonus of about £1bn a year, each year for some time. Given their Covid strategy the past 12 months, shouldn't the Tories be quite proud of this?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Given about 100,000 pensioners have died of covid, with the 'savings' of their state pension plus other costs, the Tories have a 'nice' windfall bonus of about £1bn a year, each year for some time. Given their Covid strategy the past 12 months, shouldn't the Tories be quite proud of this?
      Seen it, had it, spent it. Ain't got nuffink left...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Seen it, had it, spent it. Ain't got nuffink left...
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The government has to keep the bond buyers and suchlike happy above all. Otherwise the economy will run into a brick wall!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            The government has to keep the bond buyers and suchlike happy above all. Otherwise the economy will run into a brick wall!
            BS - the bonds buyer is BoE, fully owned subsidiary of HMG

Comment

BS - the bonds buyer is BoE, fully owned subsidiary of HMG
              not true.
              BOE buys bonds as part of QE only. The biggest buyer of UK bonds is the pension funds.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Another post about sharks.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  BOE buys bonds as part of QE only. The biggest buyer of UK bonds is the pension funds.
                  Why would pension funds who need regular income buy securies with fook all income?

Comment

Why would pension funds who need regular income buy securies with fook all income?

Because it's mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                    X