• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official Budget 2021 thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Bit of a problem there and even if you ignore the pandemic -

https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-12...hzq/index.html

Not a problem for me as a 50 year old. There will still be enough people of working age when I'm an old codger to cover my costs It's those under 40 who need to worry more. I'm all right Jack - that's the way society works now isn't it? 51.8% certainly thought so 4.5 years ago, I think I might buy into that philosophy
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

If you can’t beat Lord Vader might as well...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Sunak - “it’s important to be honest and deal with unsustainable debt!”
        Yeah, like I want to fund a drug addict.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Public information video

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

The appalling audio sync hurt my brain

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Public information video
              it pains me to say it but i agree with Katie Hopkins on this one

Comment

Getting nervous here in the Whorty house .... the chitter around the stamp duty holiday has petered off over the last few days. Blinkin Rishi better not have changed his mind I have plans to waste that £15k saving!

Comment

You'll get it, sadly (not because I don't want you to get it but because it's a stupid idea ). The Tories will continue to offer demand-side bungs, which can only end very badly, eventually. But it's the crash that has been coming almost forever at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    You'll get it, sadly (not because I don't want you to get it but because it's a stupid idea ). The Tories will continue to offer demand-side bungs, which can only end very badly, eventually. But it's the crash that has been coming almost forever at this point.
                    Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid too and should never have been offered in the first place, but now it's so close I'm turning British and want my piece of free pie!

It does show though how stamp duty has such an influence on the housing market. It certainly needs to be reformed, whether that be with the talked about yearly 'property value tax' or switching so that the seller and not the buyer pays stamp duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid too and should never have been offered in the first place, but now it's so close I'm turning British and want my piece of free pie!

It does show though how stamp duty has such an influence on the housing market. It certainly needs to be reformed, whether that be with the talked about yearly 'property value tax' or switching so that the seller and not the buyer pays stamp duty.
                      It's all pretty irrelevant when compared to (lack of) supply. Gaming the market at the margins is easy when demand outstrips supply. The problem is that the politics of demand is good for the Tories (property owners vote Tory) whereas the politics of supply is bad (Tories want more properties "somewhere else").

Comment

Working...
                      X