• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Forum Bug Reports

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Moderating: tried to copy a post from General to Accounting/Legal and got this:

Reference: Contractor UK Bulletin Board

Was just about to report the same issue.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Moderating: tried to copy a post from General to Accounting/Legal and got this:

Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.
    Reference: Contractor UK Bulletin Board

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Cheers! The "canvas-widget" class is used in a lot of places so I need to double-check that, but the others should be OK
    It's min-height I'm changing there so should only impact large amounts of whitespace when there is nothing in the div.

That's on the list to fix. I don't know exactly why, but some users have the "thumb" version generated while most don't, and if it can't find the thumbnail version it falls back to the default avatar, rather than doing something sensible like falling back to the full-size one. This is one of the very few bits of code that's the same as it was on the old version, but the old version didn't use the "thumb=1" option anywhere, or not anywhere people looked

And they include that "thumb=1" in places where they don't even want the thumbnail version. As there are strict limits on the sizes (both dimensions and bytes) of avatars and neither of them are huge, I don't think it's an issue to just use the normal version and let the browser scale it.
    That would work - but could you add

.avatar {
    height: 32px;
    width: 32px;
    text-align: center;
    margin-right: 10px;
    border: 1px solid #DFDFDF;

}

and possibly swap the border 1px with a padding 1px; to remove a pointless border. The avatar forces the browser to rescale so it does all the hard work.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm curious, quite a lot of IT types run using Noscript or whatever, is the new forum is utterly unusable without all that guff? Or does it fall-back to something more old-fashioned?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Yes, i think its to do with the tracking/updating of the latest post read within a thread, as its still sometimes still taking me to the "previous" latest post.
    I think that's another one of those things where they rely on some bit of JavaScript rather than just keeping track of it server-side when generating the page. If so, I can probably wedge something in there to do it the old way that worked rather than the new way that doesn't because it's dumb

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Noticed that if you are typing a new reply and leave the page, you aren't prompted if you're sure (haven't tested on new posts). And it doesn't store your draft if you go back to reply again. So you can easily lose a very valuable body of work More seriously my trackpad has back/forward mapped to some swipe actions and in the past I've accidentally lost a long reply on other forums by accidentally triggering that.
    Hmm, it ought to; I'll have a look.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    As this is starting to annoy me

Why does ./core/image.php?userid=20822&dateline=1609937612 display my avatar
    yet
    ./core/image.php?userid=20822&thumb=1&dateline=1609937612 doesn't?
    That's on the list to fix. I don't know exactly why, but some users have the "thumb" version generated while most don't, and if it can't find the thumbnail version it falls back to the default avatar, rather than doing something sensible like falling back to the full-size one. This is one of the very few bits of code that's the same as it was on the old version, but the old version didn't use the "thumb=1" option anywhere, or not anywhere people looked

And they include that "thumb=1" in places where they don't even want the thumbnail version. As there are strict limits on the sizes (both dimensions and bytes) of avatars and neither of them are huge, I don't think it's an issue to just use the normal version and let the browser scale it.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

It's being a bit unreliable for me in exactly that way too, though I'm not sure why. It's possibly something to do with the mechanism for keeping track of which posts you've read. I'll keep an eye on it.
    Yes, i think its to do with the tracking/updating of the latest post read within a thread, as its still sometimes still taking me to the "previous" latest post.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I'm getting intermittent issues with it too - its sometimes taking me to the previous "last unread" post mark, although i've since read it.

Trying to find a pattern to help NickFitz out, but it may be something to do with when the unread posts are over multiple pages.
    It's being a bit unreliable for me in exactly that way too, though I'm not sure why. It's possibly something to do with the mechanism for keeping track of which posts you've read. I'll keep an eye on it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    A couple of minor css changes

at
    .canvas-layout-container .canvas-widget {
    min-height: 4px; // was 24px
    ​​​​​
    }

.conversation-status-message.notice {

margin-bottom: 15px; // was 22px

}

.pagenav-container {
    margin-top: 10px;
    margin-bottom: 10px;
    // both were 15px
    }

that should reduce the header by about 30-40px without impacting anything if a banner needs to be displayed
    Cheers! The "canvas-widget" class is used in a lot of places so I need to double-check that, but the others should be OK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X