• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Forum Bug Reports

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    From a different forum

The big news this month is big news indeed, in the next 7 to 10 days we will have a brand new site with a new look and a lot more speed and functionality. We have been doing a lot of testing behind the scenes for some weeks now and have determined that vB5 (the forum software we use) is basically a piece of crap. Whereas vB4 had 75% of the market, vB5 holds less than 17% and as far as we can see that’s for good reason.

We therefore have made the decision to go over to xenForo who are the new market leaders in forum software for medium to large format forums. .... At that load the forum is still 10x faster than the current one whilst running on a far less powerful (test) server. We are sure you will be impressed by the speed and efficiency of the new version.
    Might be worth looking into.

A few years ago (OK, about a decade), a forum I was involved with switched from vB to Huddler. Huddler had a great sales pitch, and the concept was pretty clever, but after a couple of years, Huddler pulled the plug and gave all their fora a matter of weeks to backup their data.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    From a different forum

The big news this month is big news indeed, in the next 7 to 10 days we will have a brand new site with a new look and a lot more speed and functionality. We have been doing a lot of testing behind the scenes for some weeks now and have determined that vB5 (the forum software we use) is basically a piece of crap. Whereas vB4 had 75% of the market, vB5 holds less than 17% and as far as we can see that’s for good reason.

We therefore have made the decision to go over to xenForo who are the new market leaders in forum software for medium to large format forums. .... At that load the forum is still 10x faster than the current one whilst running on a far less powerful (test) server. We are sure you will be impressed by the speed and efficiency of the new version.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe it's a feature but you can rate your own threads. Mine are all going to be 5* now.
    Only if no-one votes lower...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Maybe it's a feature but you can rate your own threads. Mine are all going to be 5* now.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Are the forums broken in some way? The last 3 posts in NL payroll providers - Contractor UK Bulletin Board make zero sense there and seem to be connected to a completely different thread regarding professional indemnity insurance
    Just seen that. I assumed Lance had posted in the wrong thread and we'd just carried on but on second look that's highly unlikely.

As to whether the forums are broken in some way? Well...erm

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Are the forums broken in some way? The last 3 posts in NL payroll providers - Contractor UK Bulletin Board make zero sense there and seem to be connected to a completely different thread regarding professional indemnity insurance

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I'm getting quite a few pages loading slowly, with "Working" being displayed.

Edited to say that this post took about 30 seconds to process.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Is it just me but is the forum landing page not updating. If I pick on Forum in the breadcrumbs it shows me all the areas but the latest posts are all yesterday. I'm using Chrome and checked IE and it's showing an even older set of posts. Even if I click CTRL F5 it doesn't bring up the latest ones.

I remember caching being mentioned in the past. Is this still happening?
    Same happens to me intermittently. I just ignore the landing page now.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is it just me but is the forum landing page not updating. If I pick on Forum in the breadcrumbs it shows me all the areas but the latest posts are all yesterday. I'm using Chrome and checked IE and it's showing an even older set of posts. Even if I click CTRL F5 it doesn't bring up the latest ones.

I remember caching being mentioned in the past. Is this still happening?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not a bug: can we embed tweets? Would be handy.
    Yep in fast moving situations most of the news comes via tweets so if I could embed the links it would be helpful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X