• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uber Has Lost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It does cost more.

Council houses and flats - where they are any - because the majority were built before 1980 the only cost to the council's who own them their maintenance costs. The rents are very low (lower than housing association properties) so in theory there is scope to increase their rents to pay for this maintenance if needed.

The cost of maintenance was huge, council house work was like saying its an insurance job the quote went up.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
      Good news! Zero hours contracts and the gig economy have managed to roll back about 50 years of advances in employment rights in the space of a few years. If this doesn't get knocked on the head now, it will only get worse.

On another note, any sort of pay that leaves you still requiring and eligible for benefits is too low. The minimum wage should be high enough to live on, as a bare minimum. It isn't, and the taxpayer ends up making up the difference through benefits, which to me is nothing short of corporate welfare. So what if it means we pay a little more in the supermarket, or for our deliveries? Nobody in their right mind can object to somebody that is providing us with a service being paid a fair wage for their efforts.
      Corporate welfare - exactly. This has been the hidden neo liberal business narrative for a long time now. Poor people are chastised for being benefits scroungers whilst rich corporates rack up billions upon billions in subsidies, grants and tax breaks every year whilst corporate taxes fall. Some estimates have this corporate welfare at around £100 billion a year, just in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
        Absolutely right on supply/demand being only a small part of the problem - just google something like does building more housing reduce prices. Loads of articles
        Building more houses cannot solve the housing crisis | UCL Grand Challenges - UCL – University College London
        Demand based on cheap credit/existing capital from existing landlords and foreign buyers will simply suck up all the new build and people who need the housing will still be renting.

Social housing has been decimated and the remaining stock is often of poor quality - if we want cleaners, bus drivers etc. in areas of otherwise high incomes and we want them to live in decent housing, we need more social housing.
        However, someone mentioned earlier that once people have a council house, they keep it. In fact in some cases it's passed on to their kids. That blocks up the supply for people who don't need social housing anymore.
        Australia has a system where your rent increases as your income does until you're paying market rate. This moves people out into the private sector and frees up housing for those who really need it. That's a good system.

If we build enough dwellings the value of housing will fall. If foreign investors are buying houses force them to become landlords or pay ridiculous amounts of tax, if values fall then they become a poorer investment so will be unloaded. If we have more private landlords then rents will fall as demand falls.

I agree we could with more social housing so do most of the heavily regulated housing associations they build more than most councils will in their area.

Social Housing - Insight - Are housing associations becoming more like house builders?

The number of homes delivered by HAs in 2018/19 increased by nearly eight per cent to 38,000, according to Inside Housing’s Top 50 Biggest Builders survey. This is expected to increase further to 42,278 the following year.
        You know housing associations tend to have their buildings created by the same big builders but inspect them more? They are policed by a number of organisations that private landlords are not.

Do you have any stats to support your wild accusations of poor quality?

Totally agree on council house succession and the Australia system which is similar to my suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          French letter...
          I'd say if you have to explain the joke it's not funny .... but it was funny and didn't really need explaining
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            I'd say if you have to explain the joke it's not funny .... but it was funny and didn't really need explaining
            I still don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              This has definitely been done.

Joel Spolsky wrote about how any metric you bring in to measure coding performance, coders just game the system. Lines of code, number of commits, even number of bugs found/fixed.
              Not just coding, but any metric in any job. Whatever you measure people on is how they will work and respond. This is why we keep getting miss selling scandals.

IT helps desks are good at this too - target them on tickets closed, they'll close tickets before confirming a fix .... not fixed correctly, no probs, open a new ticket then close that one. Bingo, 2 tickets for the price of 1
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Not just coding, but any metric in any job. Whatever you measure people on is how they will work and respond. This is why we keep getting miss selling scandals.
                This reminds me of trying to define fitness criteria in an artificial evolution project at university.

Comment

I still don't get it

not surprised with your personality

Comment

IT helps desks are good at this too - target them on tickets closed, they'll close tickets before confirming a fix .... not fixed correctly, no probs, open a new ticket then close that one. Bingo, 2 tickets for the price of 1

Yep best if its an outsourced one in India, they have closed it before you have finished reporting it! No fix of course, they don't do that. you just need a call number so you can log a change request and fix it yourself or escalate to the Canadians.

Comment

I still don't get it
                      French letter = condom

Comment

Working...
                      X