• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The chancellor considers ‘extending stamp duty holiday by six weeks’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    You can if you don't need a mortgage.
    My buyer is cash buyer. I'm a cash buyer. My vendor is moving out to rented. Both me and my buyer are choosing to forego searches being in before exchange, we'll both put in place indemnity insurance. We are also both choosing not to have a survey - in my case it's risk/reward, in that I'm assuming if there is something wrong with the house the cost to fix will be less than the £15k I could save in stamp duty.

Our solicitors are asking questions (often far too many, but they have to prove they are working!) but as cash buyers we can override any of these and/or ignore responses.

Mortgage companies are not going to do this as they don't save stamp duty, so for them it's more risk, and a lot less reward.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      You can if you don't need a mortgage.
      Does your insurer not have any requirements? We bought a place for cash and I'm trying to remember. Also if you come to take a mortgage later, could it raise issues?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Stamp duty holiday to be extended to the end of June

https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/...d-of-june.html

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
          Stamp duty holiday to be extended to the end of June

https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/...d-of-june.html

I hope that's true, but still a rumour until Sunak confirms.

It's not just about the conveyancing slowing the process down, with everyone trying to complete by the end of March there is not enough capacity in removals companies to actually move people, so even if you can complete by the end of March, you still can't move!

Still keeping fingers crossed for me, my buyer and the peeps I'm buying from. We each will save £15k .... don't know about the others, but my cash will be spent in the economy so still 'good' for the UK

I'm tempted to get this : https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

To compliment my 2020 Expert Roubaix

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I hope that's true, but still a rumour until Sunak confirms.

It's not just about the conveyancing slowing the process down, with everyone trying to complete by the end of March there is not enough capacity in removals companies to actually move people, so even if you can complete by the end of March, you still can't move!

Still keeping fingers crossed for me, my buyer and the peeps I'm buying from. We each will save £15k .... don't know about the others, but my cash will be spent in the economy so still 'good' for the UK

I'm tempted to get this : https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

To compliment my 2020 Expert Roubaix

Fingers crossed for you that you complete in time.

That's a serious bit of kit that.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post

Fingers crossed for you that you complete in time.

That's a serious bit of kit that.
              Friend of mine just emailed to say stamp duty is being extended ... but I can't see it on news anywhere and can't get hold of them to see where they saw the story. They heard extended to June. Anyone seen this?

Comment

Friend of mine just emailed to say stamp duty is being extended ... but I can't see it on news anywhere and can't get hold of them to see where they saw the story. They heard extended to June. Anyone seen this?
                The bit of The Times that I can read says dishy Rishi is "preparing to extend". It's also on Sky News.

The Torygraph is also reporting an extension and mentions support for a staggered drop off.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The bit of The Times that I can read says dishy Rishi is "preparing to extend". It's also on Sky News.
                  Thanks LM, just saw the Times story. Interesting that it talks about those who have had their mortgage approved, but nothing about cash buyers I'm assuming it will have to be something like, 'an agreed sale' to cover all buyers, but given this government it's also more than possible they can't even get this right and forget not everyone buys a house with a mortgage

I want that £15k in my pocket so I can waste it .... I certainly don't want the government wasting it on dodgy contracts I need that N+1 bike

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The Torygraph is also reporting an extension and mentions support for a staggered drop off.
                    Is it just me or does this government leak like never before? There literally isn't an announcement of any import which hasn't been trial-ballooned verbatim in the Tory-friendly media for at least a week beforehand. I think we can take it as read that this extension is incoming.

Comment

Thanks LM, just saw the Times story. Interesting that it talks about those who have had their mortgage approved, but nothing about cash buyers I'm assuming it will have to be something like, 'an agreed sale' to cover all buyers, but given this government it's also more than possible they can't even get this right and forget not everyone buys a house with a mortgage

I want that £15k in my pocket so I can waste it .... I certainly don't want the government wasting it on dodgy contracts I need that N+1 bike
                      I think your intentions for the money are putting it to far better use!

Comment

Working...
                      X