• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandelslime is back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandelslime is back

Keir Starmer's bounce-back plan? Send for Lord Mandelson

Battling sagging poll ratings and struggling to craft a narrative as to why voters should turn away from the Tories, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has reportedly called on an old face from New Labour: Lord Mandelson.According to the Sunday Times, Starmer has turned to the man dubbed the “Prince of Darkness” for help moving beyond the Jeremy Corbyn years and broadening the party’s slumping electoral appeal.Battling sagging poll ratings and struggling to craft a narrative as to why voters should turn away from the Tories, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has reportedly called on an old face from New Labour: Lord Mandelson.
    According to the Sunday Times, Starmer has turned to the man dubbed the “Prince of Darkness” for help moving beyond the Jeremy Corbyn years and broadening the party’s slumping electoral appeal.

lets hope he is as effective as last time!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

After all, he's a fighter not a quitter.

Unless you count a well-paid sinecure in the EU...

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
      After all, he's a fighter not a quitter.

Unless you count a well-paid sinecure in the EU...
      Including a pension that is dependent to a large extent on his continuing to support the EU agenda.

Shame that Starmer isn't bright enough to realise that he and his accompanying cohort of shadow front benchers are the real problem; not a brain among them on current performance, lots of "we wouldn't have done that" combined with zero alternative ideas of their own. The great British public aren't going to go for a crowd of invisible no-hopers.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Including a pension that is dependent to a large extent on his continuing to support the EU agenda.

Shame that Starmer isn't bright enough to realise that he and his accompanying cohort of shadow front benchers are the real problem; not a brain among them on current performance, lots of "we wouldn't have done that" combined with zero alternative ideas of their own. The great British public aren't going to go for a crowd of invisible no-hopers.
        I don't think that's fair to be honest.

I'm not a staunch supporter of any party (though I have to admit to never having voted Conservative).

They didn't have to present alternative ideas, as he was supporting the fact that we follow WHO advice and also, for contact tracing, that we used the open source model.

He also stated that the 2m distance and covid safe workspaces needed to be enforced and documented, with clear guidance.

If you've looked at Gov.uk and guidance to employers for Covid-19 , you'll quickly see that its a farce .

We've spent months of deaths and illness and lockdown because the government has been trying to outthink the standard global response.

Starmer has been very clear - don't open schools until they are covid safe workspaces (they STILL aren't) - don't end the first lockdown without test trace isolate in place (the horse has well and truly bolted there , for the THIRD time, if you count Jan 30th as the starting point). They are alternative solutions.

We are outliers like Brazil, USA and SA - and our variant growth and fatality ratio seems to prove this.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          I don't think that's fair to be honest.

I'm not a staunch supporter of any party (though I have to admit to never having voted Conservative).

They didn't have to present alternative ideas, as he was supporting the fact that we follow WHO advice and also, for contact tracing, that we used the open source model.

He also stated that the 2m distance and covid safe workspaces needed to be enforced and documented, with clear guidance.

If you've looked at Gov.uk and guidance to employers for Covid-19 , you'll quickly see that its a farce .

We've spent months of deaths and illness and lockdown because the government has been trying to outthink the standard global response.

Starmer has been very clear - don't open schools until they are covid safe workspaces (they STILL aren't) - don't end the first lockdown without test trace isolate in place (the horse has well and truly bolted there , for the THIRD time, if you count Jan 30th as the starting point). They are alternative solutions.

We are outliers like Brazil, USA and SA - and our variant growth and fatality ratio seems to prove this.
          I have been keeping up. As far as I can tell:

Starmer has agreed with every HMG action in the House voting, criticised those actions in PMQs and not offered any alternative solutions. OK, not his job perhaps, but criticism for the sake of it is not helping anyone.

Sturgeon has enacted all UK decisions one day early, basically trying to make it look like she is leading the fight. Reality is somewhat different.

Wales and their Labour administration has over-reacted and imposed conditions that make a degree of sense in a crowded city like Cardiff or Swansea but are meaningless over the 80% of the country that are still heavily rural. Their localised health service is also in no real fit state to react as well as the rest of the UK.

Yes our rates are bad, and worse than other countries but we simply can't do a NZ or Oz and close the doors, we have a population with generally poor health and obesity levels, with an average age well above many other countries and a lot of elderly people in care homes. There are reasons for our poor figures and many (but not all!) of them are not down to poor decision making.

So what we don't need is Starmer et al playing politics just because they are the Opposition or think they are leaders of their bit of the UK. Shut up or put up should be the mantra and if there are better ideas on anything let's hear them.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            but we simply can't do a NZ or Oz and close the doors
            Why not? I've heard a lot of people say this, but never heard any of the reasoning behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
              Why not? I've heard a lot of people say this, but never heard any of the reasoning behind it.
              The excuse I heard given is because we rely on imports so can't stop people entering because of those.

I know other countries that have closed their borders also rely on imports so have exceptions for staff involved in importing goods.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The reason the opposition (of any colours) have stopped giving their own solutions is because the party in power nicks them.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

well as up to 40% of infections happened in hospital

Stopping Covid spreading in hospitals could have made 'substantial reduction in first wave deaths' | Daily Mail Online
                  Up to 40% of hospitalised Covid patients in first wave - around 36,000 people - caught it AFTER being admitted: SAGE paper claims stopping spread in NHS trusts could have made a 'substantial' reduction in deaths

• Researchers said in-hospital spread prolonged the first wave by 'several weeks' by leaking virus to community
                  • NHS struggles to contain the virus, which spreads silently without symptoms, especially when wards are busy
                  • Some caught the virus then developed symptoms after discharge and returned to hospital, they said
                  • Thousands of deaths could have been prevented if in-hospital transmission was stopped completely
                  The Ongoing Problem of UK Hospital Acquired Infections - The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine

Probable Hospital Acquired infections in England remain persistently high: currently, 17.6% of COVID-19 infections fit the NHS England definition of probable healthcare-associated infections (HCAIs). These rates have been as high as 25% in the North West and continue to climb in the North East and Yorkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    The reason the opposition (of any colours) have stopped giving their own solutions is because the party in power nicks them.

Surely that is what an opposition is supposed to provide alternative ideas to the government, this then shows they are a good candidate to rule.

Comment

Working...
                    X