• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The BBC would cost more as a streaming service.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You don't have to watch terrestrial TV, so it's not a tax.
    You don’t have to earn money, so income tax is not a tax.

That’s par for the course from dooodard who said - “these are not real death, they are imaginary”

Comment

You don't have to watch terrestrial TV, so it's not a tax.
      TV license is required for watching any live or recorded TV channel via any service; aerial, online, satellite or cable, BBC or otherwise.

Whilst it is true that not everyone watches/has a TV, that is a vanishingly small percentage, so I would agree that the TV license should just be rolled into general taxation. The hassles and overhead of a separate "licensing" system seems like a bit of an anachronism at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        You don’t have to earn money, so income tax is not a tax.

That’s par for the course from dooodard who said - “these are not real death, they are imaginary”
        Exact quote that will live forever -

OK so these are imaginary future deaths, not real ones. Thanks for clarifying, I will give your forecasting the attention it deserves.
        That was 4th January - 375 death on that day, and we know how high they've gone up shortly thereafter...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Bad analogy - it's a tax because you have to pay it even if you don't watch BBC
          No you don't. Not like you to state something as fact that isn't true.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            No you don't.
            Yes you do if you have a TV used to watch (other) live broadcasts like say Sky News.

Comment

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel

watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                The BBC is definitely a bit woke, but having seen the offerings in many other countries, it's still streets ahead of anything else. CBeebies alone is worth the license fee.

Swiss TV is publicly funded, more expensive than the the UK Licence, is not very good and has adverts. It's almost impossible to avoid paying.
                I take objection! The BBC isn't woke -it's just a public sector corporation. Every British public sector institution is like that, and probably too right too. What is "woke" anyway - isnt it the same as the gay movement in the 00's, or the race movement in the 90's , the women' rights movement before that, etc etc? It's just called progress and change , and I think its good that the media represents it.

<off me soapbox> AGAIN!
                Last edited by Scoobos; 7 February 2021, 23:09.

Comment

Working...
                X