• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boom ... but very early days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom ... but very early days

Before I lost my wife we talked about what I would do after she was gone. She told me to sell up and buy something more suitable for a single bloke. Anyway, this is what happened last week ....

Monday - called 2 local estate agents saying I'm looking to sell
    Tuesday - 2 agents came around and gave valuations (both well over what I thought it was worth).
    Wednesday - called the agent of choice to appoint them (couldn't go with the other agent as I knew my wife would have rejected him)
    Thursday morning 8am - Call to ask if there could be a viewing at 9am
    Thursday 9am - viewing
    Thursday evening - offer. This was above my initial own value but less than the recommended asking price. I said no, but I would accept a slightly higher offer
    Friday 9am - buyers came around for second viewing. They called agent afterwards and said they would take the weekend to decide on a second offer. They wanted to make me sweat
    Monday 10am - second offer that was acceptable to me

Now, it's still very very early days as they need to exchange by end of March to beat the stamp duty deadline as they can't afford the extra £15k that would cost them. Solicitors are saying they may struggle to do this but, I'm a believer that where there is a will there is a way!

Mix feelings here - I know I have to move as the house is far to big for me and is empty without Mrs W, but it's also where we have lived the past 5 years and where she passed away only 2 weeks ago. I always thought it would take a year to sell, to give me time to get used to the move.

I'm realistic and know that house sales fall through all the time, so this really is a 'watch this space' .... but still, a mini boom that may become a proper boom
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Before I lost my wife we talked about what I would do after she was gone. She told me to sell up and buy something more suitable for a single bloke. Anyway, this is what happened last week ....

Tuesday - 2 agents came around and gave valuations (both well over what I thought it was worth).
    Wednesday - called the agent of choice to appoint them (couldn't go with the other agent as I knew my wife would have rejected him)
    Thursday 9am - viewing
    Thursday evening - offer. This was above my initial own value but less than the recommended asking price. I said no, but I would accept a slightly higher offer
    Friday 9am - buyers came around for second viewing. They called agent afterwards and said they would take the weekend to decide on a second offer. They wanted to make me sweat

Now, it's still very very early days as they need to exchange by end of March to beat the stamp duty deadline as they can't afford the extra £15k that would cost them. Solicitors are saying they may struggle to do this but, I'm a believer that where there is a will there is a way!

Mix feelings here - I know I have to move as the house is far to big for me and is empty without Mrs W, but it's also where we have lived the past 5 years and where she passed away only 2 weeks ago. I always thought it would take a year to sell, to give me time to get used to the move.

I'm realistic and know that house sales fall through all the time, so this really is a 'watch this space' .... but still, a mini boom that may become a proper boom
    It really needs a pic of the property to illustrate the story, please be doing the needful

Comment

Before I lost my wife we talked about what I would do after she was gone. She told me to sell up and buy something more suitable for a single bloke. ..
      Maybe a bit early to mention it, but what if you meet someone else at some point, and you're cooped up in a one bedroom flat?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Maybe a bit early to mention it, but what if you meet someone else at some point, and you're cooped up in a one bedroom flat?
        Then he can move.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ah so she never wanted you to meet another woman

Congrats on the house sale. There are ways the buyers can expedite the purchase but it'll depend on a number of things such as mortgage (and lenders are SLOW right now) and paying solicitors that bit extra to get things done ASAP. Cash purchase would be the fastest but that's a rare thing amongst the general public.

I empathise with how you feel, but a fresh perspective and a new outlook will help take you forward into the next half of your life. So much yet to do, so many experiences yet to be had.

Good luck with the move mate.

Comment

INSKPE
            By 'more suitable for a single bloke', I think he means 'a luxury penthouse'.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Thursday 9am - viewing

Your wife is an angel looking over you... enjoy the rest of your life.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
                It really needs a pic of the property to illustrate the story, please be doing the needful
                No pics yet, property not officially on market yet so agent not done the photoshoot.

Comment

Firstly, I'm moving to a 2 bed flat. I was in a 2 bed flat when I met my wife and she moved in with me. The flat will be large enough.

Secondly, I have no plan to meet anyone else. I still consider myself married to my wife even though she's no longer here. That feeling may, or may not, change as time goes on - I've no idea.

If it works out that they flat is the wrong decision I'll just rent it out and buy something else so it's a low risk move.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Ah so she never wanted you to meet another woman
                    Actually, totally opposite is true. She wrote me a letter just before she went and obviously won't go through the details, but she did say she doesn't want me to go through life alone and I should, when the time is right, open my heart to a new companion. Even as she was dying she was only thinking about me.

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Congrats on the house sale. There are ways the buyers can expedite the purchase but it'll depend on a number of things such as mortgage (and lenders are SLOW right now) and paying solicitors that bit extra to get things done ASAP. Cash purchase would be the fastest but that's a rare thing amongst the general public.

I empathise with how you feel, but a fresh perspective and a new outlook will help take you forward into the next half of your life. So much yet to do, so many experiences yet to be had.

Good luck with the move mate.
                    Thanks. My buyers have a house and they have sold but it's a long chain, so they are buying my house separately and hence for me no chain. They will need a small mortgage though to complete with me (when their sale goes through they'll clear the mortgage).

I think as always the biggest stumbling block with be local area searches. Wiltshire Council has never been great. As you say, with solicitors you can always throw enough cash at the problem to get your sale/purchase to the top of their work pile

Comment

Working...
                    X