• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big Data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Chuck in a bit of power pivot and you've got yourself a database!
    Apparently our finance team are working on a "database", its an excel file with about 2000 lines in it refreshed from SQL.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Apparently our finance team are working on a "database", its an excel file with about 2000 lines in it refreshed from SQL.
      I wouldn't call it an excel file even I would call it a disaster waiting to happen.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I wouldn't call it an excel file even I would call it a disaster waiting to happen.
        an overarching term for some finance teams.

Comment

Chuck in a bit of power pivot and you've got yourself a database!
          Nooooooo Don't even joke about using Excel as a DB
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

FFS, this is exactly why we shouldn't joke about this stuff.

Saying that though, i've made a career out of working with finance depts fixing their issues so maybe i shouldn't complain
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Not the end of the world if the data is stored in SQL which is what it sounds like and they are just doing some analysis in excel. Sure there might be better solutions but excel is fine (maybe even the tool of choice in some cases) for a bit of ad hoc analysis... it just fails as data storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Saying that though, i've made a career out of working with finance depts fixing their issues so maybe i shouldn't complain
                Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I am a realist!

(sh)it happens....

Comment

People here are mean. I thought this was a highly entertaining start to a thread then the usual trolls poisoned it.

HB - if you have a data lake, make sure it is a lake and not a pond. The difference is its depth. If you have a shallow body of data, it's a pond. If it's deep enough to have a zone where daylight can't reach, it's a lake. If you truly have the latter then that's where data mining (another handy term to know) comes in. I've not yet figured out how one mines a lake, although GoT could give you tips on how to go fishing with dynamite.

If going for the suggested plan B you could also incorporate some of pooper's charts into your powerpoint slides as that will help illustrate your expertise.
                    You can mine the data lake using R. But beware of pirates.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

People here are mean. I thought this was a highly entertaining start to a thread then the usual trolls poisoned it.

HB is an obvious ages sockie from one of the usual old mean troll posters...

Comment

Working...
                      X