• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy arse method of making bread (if you don't have a breadmaking machine)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy arse method of making bread:
    sit on your arse and drink a beer. Send the wife to get bread from shop.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      (I can’t be arsed with poolish for pizzas, I just do that for bread.)
      If you're only doing 2-3 pizzas understandable. I do it about every 3 weeks when daughter and grand daughter round and do loads of spares for the week for all. Do Quattro Stagoni for the week, warm half a pizza up a day for WFH lunch. Quick and variety and if eaten at desk then time for a walk down the canal. Plus the second kneading of a poolish dough takes some hand and wrist strength, which comes in useful!
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I've been doing no knead overnight bread probably 5 times a week since lockdown started, and still going strong. A loose adaptation of the well known "no knead" approach, it really does make a decent loaf for minimal effort. 450g water, 12g salt, 1.2g dry yeast, 600g flour. If you don't have a drug dealer scales for the yeast (tenner on Amazon, worth it although you will get pestered by mini-ziplock bag adverts for a while) then 1.2g is 1/4 tsp. I use Shipton mill hard Canadian wheat flour, have found with some other flours that they don't work as well with the high hydration (75%) so you might need to experiment. Just mix together the night before (spoon - no kneading), in the morning a couple of stretch and folds, then shape, prove (I use a couche in a plastic box) and bake. I use an oblong clay baker (lid on) and make 2 x batards. Maybe not the single best loaf you'll ever make, but can't be beat for effort/reward, and ready mid-morning and cooled by lunch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210323_120115037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	686.6 KB ID:	4166753

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          I've been making bread this way for several weeks and the results are pretty consistent. The loaf produced is a bit of an odd shape (round and squat) but, if you can live with that, it's fairly decent bread..
          Isn't this just how bread is made normally anyway?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

If you're only doing 2-3 pizzas understandable. I do it about every 3 weeks when daughter and grand daughter round and do loads of spares for the week for all. Do Quattro Stagoni for the week, warm half a pizza up a day for WFH lunch. Quick and variety and if eaten at desk then time for a walk down the canal. Plus the second kneading of a poolish dough takes some hand and wrist strength, which comes in useful!
            wrist strength for lockdown - hmmmm.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X