• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus Shopping Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus Shopping Thread

Anyone else having a problem keeping their virtual wallets in their pockets? I seem to be buying an inordinate amount of tulip that I sort of want but really don't need. I will start off with my new grow light and grow tent, purchased at the beginning of March.

With the pandemic potential increasing and the resulting possibility of supply chain disruption I decided to return to my farming roots and ramp up the veg plots again. Ignored them for the last couple of years due to lack of time / motivation / testosterone so hoped that gardening might provide a distraction and some well needed exercise as well as some extra grub.

Whilst I have met the lady Mary Jane on many occasions be assured that this is not for the purposes of growing that particular vegetation. First on the list was of course the chillis, should be started in Feb ideally and wanted to get them off to a good start.

We have had chilli threads on here but I have now found an absolute winner for getting them off to a head start. The Spider Farmer SF-1000 - Spider Farmer Grow Light, SF-1000 LED Grow Lights with SAMSUNG Chips Dimmable Mean Well Driver, Full Spectrum 3000K 5000K 660nm IR Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors. I think I would have baulked at the current price of £229 - it was £160 when I got it - along with this grow tent which was £40 SavingPlus Indoor Grow Light Box Tent Aluminum lined Bud Dark Room for Hydroponic Fan 80X80X160CM: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors.

If you grow chillis then I can't recommend this set up enough! My chillis are astounding. I used seeds purchased over the last year or two, the majority of which came through fine including one of the two Carolina Reaper seeds... So I have Apache, Jalapeno, Cherry Bomb, Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Big Banana and Thor plants - most in the green house but the hot ones still in the grow tent.

Have used the tent as well to germinate tomatoes, French beans, leeks, sprouts, cabbage, peas and loads of other bits too. No way I would have bought this without the virus looming. I will post some of the other carp later.

Growing chillis, yer right on. When the 'chillies' are ready I'll take 5 ounces of your finest bud, same time, same corner.

Just to make you aware, you'll probably get a free unmarked transit parked on your road with those purchases. Good luck with the 'chilli story.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I grow my chillies from seed in the greenhouse, then pot on. As the weather warms up, one will be in the kitchen and a couple of others left outside.
      As for my opium poppies, they are self seeded and keep coming up.

If anyone wants courgette, cucumber or tomato plants, let me know
      Also cosmos. We've got over 80 of them in paper pots.

Currently trying to work out the best place to get more compost from.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

B&M sell compost and they are open because they sell food as well.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          I grow my chillies from seed in the greenhouse, then pot on. As the weather warms up, one will be in the kitchen and a couple of others left outside.
          As for my opium poppies, they are self seeded and keep coming up.

If anyone wants courgette, cucumber or tomato plants, let me know
          Also cosmos. We've got over 80 of them in paper pots.

I can get you compost. Don't ask me how, but I can get you compost.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Anyone else having a problem keeping their virtual wallets in their pockets? I seem to be buying an inordinate amount of tulip that I sort of want but really don't need.
            Oh gods yes!

I blame BGG: as he brought me the Cricut maker - so then I had to go & get all of the vinyl (both iron-on & sticky) and associated tools,

And then as I am home I have done more 3D printing so I had to try copper & wood filaments

Plus a new headset (taking the gaming one from upstairs study to downstairs work set up was just too much bother, fabric & stuff for masks plus other misc crafting stuff!

I am just glad I won't buy leather online as that too would have been shopped.

Currently I have disregarded the new ipad & now considering MacBook or Surface pro.

Not a cheap time!
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

New guitar, new guitar amplifier, 3 guitar stands, guitar strings and stuff, ukulele stuff, t-shirts in aid of clubs, CDs in aid of clubs and a bunch of facemasks of different types. Been told to stop shopping...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Watercolour paper. Lots of watercolour paper.

And you can't have too many watercolour books in my opinion. And let's not forget those Kolinsky brushes that I've been hankering over, or that tube of cobalt teal...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Maybe they do game bags as well? (for your chillies)

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Haven't got my birthday present yet from The Wife (tm),
                    Have been toying with getting a 59 Les Paul (or maybe a reissue).
                    Also want to change my 4 year old phone.
                    ...and maybe other stuff.

Unfortunately I was going to cash in some savings in January. Didn't send in the paperwork, got a letter the other day to say that it had lost over £2k in 4 months. That put a bit of a damper on it.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X