• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid-19 - cause of death?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid-19 - cause of death?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    That's not entirely clear - he had coronavirus and he died. It's not clear how much that contributed to his death.

Eddie Large: Comedian dies aged 78 with coronavirus - BBC News
    If you get hit by a bus, and after your death they test you and you have Covid-19, is this classed as Covid-19 death?

I'm wondering how they attribute death to the virus vs underlying health issue?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If you get hit by a bus, and after your death they test you and you have Covid-19, is this classed as Covid-19 death?

I'm wondering how they attribute death to the virus vs underlying health issue?
    Yes, I was just reading The Spectator's news round up email. They carefully said:

On Wednesday, Spain reported 950 deaths - the highest daily increase on record worldwide. The number of people who have died in Spain, testing positive for COVID-19, has now passed 10,000.
    It does seem that deaths are being counted towards the tally if the deceased are found to have the virus, irrespective of how they actually died.

I wonder how many people are dying every day that don't test positive for the virus?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Yes, I was just reading The Spectator's news round up email. They carefully said:

It does seem that deaths are being counted towards the tally if the deceased are found to have the virus, irrespective of how they actually died.

I wonder how many people are dying every day that don't test positive for the virus?
      The problem is that they are reporting numbers of people who died WITH the virus, not OF the virus.

Total death counts aren't up on previous years. Take from that what you will.
      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
        The problem is that they are reporting numbers of people who died WITH the virus, not OF the virus.

Total death counts aren't up on previous years. Take from that what you will.
        Sorry, yes, that was the point I was badly making.

Comment

it seems to be the same as prostate cancer many die with it not from it.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Very likely that heart failure would have killed him at some point but probably also a good chance that COVID-19 pushed it over the edge.
            Totally agree, but he's one of those who would go sooner, unlike Crohn's sufferers, where the drugs to keep it under control would leave them in a very vulnerable position to C-19 but have little normal daily risk.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Can the panel please list what they would then accept as a list of Coronavirus direct death traits please.

If someone has a dodgy heart then it's pretty obvious Coronavirus could finish them off. Stating they had a heart attack is pretty ridiculous under such circumstances. Full post mortems aren't being carried out in England, for those unaware.

If you do confine this to your list of 'WITH coronavirus', which I think is patently nonsense for 99% of cases, then essentially you're dismissing secondary bronchial pneumonia that isn't the same pneumonia as the primary pneumonia caused in the severe cases of Coronavirus being seen.

Stating someone died of asthmatic complications when it was blatantly contracting Coronavirus that really instigated the major effects is silly and that's why it's not being noted in the fashion suggested by a few above. It's semantics.

Interestingly "bronchiolitis myoblast obliterans" is a great name, I'm sure you'll agree, for what is such a damaging secondary complication.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                Can the panel please list what they would then accept as a list of Coronavirus direct death traits please.

If someone has a dodgy heart then it's pretty obvious Coronavirus could finish them off. Stating they had a heart attack is pretty ridiculous under such circumstances. Full post mortems aren't being carried out in England, for those unaware.

If you do confine this to your list of 'WITH coronavirus', which I think is patently nonsense for 99% of cases, then essentially you're dismissing secondary bronchial pneumonia that isn't the same pneumonia as the primary pneumonia caused in the severe cases of Coronavirus being seen.

Stating someone died of asthmatic complications when it was blatantly contracting Coronavirus that really instigated the major effects is silly and that's why it's not being noted in the fashion suggested by a few above. It's semantics.

Interestingly "bronchiolitis myoblast obliterans" is a great name, I'm sure you'll agree, for what is such a damaging secondary complication.
                Fat bastards

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Split from Dead Celebrities thread.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

In the long run, I expect the excess death statistics will paint a clearer picture, although I guess there’s some lockdown noise in those too (fewer road traffic accidents etc.).

Comment

Working...
                    X