• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Covid-19 - cause of death?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If you get hit by a bus, and after your death they test you and you have Covid-19, is this classed as Covid-19 death?

I'm wondering how they attribute death to the virus vs underlying health issue?
    You have to die, in hospital, after being diagnosed, seems to be the current definition?

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sorry for your loss.

If there was no positive test for the virus then to attribute the death to it is false accounting in my eyes. Is it possible to challenge what's put on a death certificate? I fully appreciate that any family would be unlikely to be in the right frame of mind to put forward such a challenge on a point of principle.
    Condolences Cirrus.

LuckyMady: Do you realise how unreliable the test is - increasing false negative rate - once a patient has been dead more than 12 hours?

Sepsis being the primary cause followed by Covid19 suggests it was a Covid19 related death.

I've seen a few on this thread mentioning "death brought forward"; what a bulltulip term. Anybody who contracts this and dies has had their death brought forward - and I apply that to the 80 year old with 19 years left otherwise, as well as someone who is 33 and is unlucky enough to have the virus spread to their otherwise healthy heart and they die.

Someone with a heart condition in a first world country could have lived another 10, 15, 20 years and met a ripe old age. In such cases the death must be attributed to Covid19; sepsis is a giveaway too. If pneumonia spreads to the abdomen and blood then sepsis is the next stage.

I think we are beginning to differentiate between the Programme Managers and the Engineers on this forum!
    Last edited by rogerfederer; 3 April 2020, 16:21.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Only time I went to the Purple Turtle was a Tuesday night in the '90s. I went for a pint after work (in London) on the Tuesday, don't remember getting to the PT, got home (in London) at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, had a shower and was in work for 9:30 a.m.. Such innocent days.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    If it's you, 'cretinism' will be listed somewhere.
    Man hit by bus in Reading, gets up and walks casually into Purple Turtle pub | Metro News

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    My mother died two weeks ago. The Death Certificate says

Cause of Death
    I(a) Sepsis
    (b) Covid-19

II Cerebrovascular Accident, Atrial Fibrillation

She was not tested for Covid-19. She showed flu-like symptoms for 24 hours; that's all. She was in a care home and Public Health England, or some such body, were called in but didn't find anything and no other occupants were showing symptoms a week later.
    So sorry to hear that.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Cause of Death
    I(a) Sepsis
    (b) Covid-19

She was not tested for Covid-19. She showed flu-like symptoms for 24 hours; that's all. She was in a care home and Public Health England, or some such body, were called in but didn't find anything and no other occupants were showing symptoms a week later.
    Sorry for your loss.

If there was no positive test for the virus then to attribute the death to it is false accounting in my eyes. Is it possible to challenge what's put on a death certificate? I fully appreciate that any family would be unlikely to be in the right frame of mind to put forward such a challenge on a point of principle.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If you get hit by a bus, and after your death they test you and you have Covid-19, is this classed as Covid-19 death?

I'm wondering how they attribute death to the virus vs underlying health issue?
    If it's you, 'cretinism' will be listed somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Seems like the viral loading is a major factor. Someone sneezes in your face, it overwhelms your immune system. Touch a surface and get a small loading, your immune system has a reasonable chance to respond. Probably why masks are good for those that have the virus.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    For anyone still thinking this is just a bad cold that just kills the seriously ill or old...

Mother-of-three NHS nurse, 36, who caught coronavirus while treating patients in hospital has died | Daily Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    it seems to be the same as prostate cancer many die with it not from it.
    MS is the same ... you die from one of the comorbidities, apparently, despite MS being the only reason the sufferer has the comorbidity! HIV/AIDs though is the opposite. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Cause of Death
    I(a) Sepsis
    (b) Covid-19

Sorry to hear that Cirrus. My neighbours are self isolating because they'd been to see her brother who just died in a care home with a variety of conditions and, possibly, the virus. They don't appear to test for elderly/frail who pass away.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Surely a chart showing deaths, with or without Covid, should tell us? If there a spike it could just be bringing pending deaths forward in which case there will will be a spike followed by a drop. Either way the long term trend will tell us.

PS Although consequences of this shutdown will affect the chart too.

PPS Ah some here:
    Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales, provisional - Office for National Statistics
    Last edited by xoggoth; 3 April 2020, 08:54.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    The problem is that they are reporting numbers of people who died WITH the virus, not OF the virus.

Total death counts aren't up on previous years. Take from that what you will.
    Ffs stick your head in the sand all you like, if death counts will be remaining on a level then wtf are countries having to build emergency field hospitals for thousands of COVID patients.

Don’t tell me next thing it will be the result of 5G

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied

Cause of Death
    I(a) Sepsis
    (b) Covid-19

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    In the long run, I expect the excess death statistics will paint a clearer picture, although I guess there’s some lockdown noise in those too (fewer road traffic accidents etc.).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X